440 Replacement Starter Motor issue

Moderator: Moderators

GranSport

Re: 440 Replacement Starter Motor issue

Post by GranSport »

Removed the bolt on wire extender. The small nut galled on the thread as I undid it. Tried to hold the shaft while I unscrewed it but whole shaft came out. Looks like it was soldered inside the solenoid. Tapped it back in and tried the motor. Solenoid now dead. Replacement ordered from Rock Auto (no charge).

While I'm waiting for a replacement I think I'll strip and check the old starter so probably buy the 10 tooth pinion off you Dave when I get that far.

Thinking this through....original problem was that when the car wouldn't start the solenoid on the firewall clicked but nothing on the starter motor.
I tested the old starter on the bench at the weekend and hey presto- solenoid working fine. Unlikely to have been heat soak when the car broke down as was well cool after an hour or so.
So could possibly be intermittant faulty wiring from firewall to solenoid. Worth checking.

Regards
Eddie
GranSport

Post by GranSport »

Turned into a drama.
Broke the post off inside the solenoid trying to remove the post extender. Starter now U/S
New starter shipped from Rock Auto. Friend had a spare old type starter so fitted that one.
Timed out on making the mini starter fit but have the new one as a spare now.

Thanks
Regards
Eddie Cross
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

denso solenoid repair kit might not be right one. check his shop

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254543698006 ... SwA7JecTKN

how to fix it

The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
morgan

Post by morgan »

Surprised - in that I have used a couple of mini-starters on 2 diff 440s and they just bolted on. Agree - I had a sticky pinion that stopped engagement but otherwsie - bolt on bolt off.

When you suss it, one piece of advice I would give you is put a heat shield round it - my headers killed one or two of these things. The actual motors themselves are cheap-as-chips. You can pay a LOT of money or peanuts. Dave999 coached me and I am currently on a cheapy one. So far so good.
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
GranSport

Post by GranSport »

Thanks again guys and good that I can rebuild the broken starter. Great advice Dave.

I now have 2 mini starters and the old original starter. Shame I timed out and couldn't get it to fit.

Regards
Eddie