100amp alternator

Moderator: Moderators

pete walton

100amp alternator

Post by pete walton »

I have had this new 100amp alternator in the spare parts box for a while and decided to use it on the Savoloy ,,,i am concerned being a complete electrical tosser that it will fry the stock electrical system i have tried to retain ...question is will the starter relay which is stock survive and were else should i be looking for a problem ....the stock alternator makes 60 amp i believe .....thanks in advance
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
TIB3300

Re: 100amp alternator

Post by TIB3300 »

All will be fine :thumbright:

More amps faster charging :thumbright:

More volts not good [-(

100 volts charging 12v battery . BOOM!!! 8-[
cadboy

Post by cadboy »

Alternator should provide whatever Amperage that the car needs when running.

When it says 100 Amps then that means it can provide up to 100 amps, if the car needs that.
It should be okay to use, but you can put a quick blow fuse in the main cable from the alternator to starter relay (or wherever your charging cable goes to. The size of this fuse should be just over the max you think your car needs, say 40 or 50 or 60 Amps.

This way you protect your cabling if something goes wrong and alternator decides to put more amps in.

I hope this makes sense.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

it will only output the current the car needs..BUT try not to let it charge a really flat battery.. in that scenario it will try its damndest to output something north of 50- 60 amps i.e closer to 100amps for a period of time until your battery wakes up, if the ammeter is still used that would certainly nacker it and the wires to and from it.

if the battery is good and you never run it flat... no problem, the current it accepts will be 2 or 3 amps most of the time

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Thanks for the replies will put a fuse in advised
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like