Hemi Runner v GS Stage 1....Who's King?

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Thats great Rob thanks :thumbright:
could watch this over and over again 8-)

Dodgey Clutch
Those Hemi Guys :roll:
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The 69 six pack runner with 4 speed nearly a second quicker than the 69 Super Bee six pack with auto :shock:
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Cant believe the Hemi Cuda beat the ZL1 Vette ?? :shock:
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
peterwebb

Hemi vs 455 GS

Post by peterwebb »

Back in the mid 80s i spent alot of time behind the wheel of a couple of hemi cars, Jims old Roadrunner for one. I drove this car all over the place, shows santa pod ect... i even used it as an every day car for a while it run like a top. The engine was stock except for elec dizzy. IT run 13.6 at 104 (with old plugs). A friend of mine owns a stage 1 Buick which i have also driven and raced. it is hard to compare now as the engine is not stock, but when it was (20 years ago) the hemi was faster.
Molloy57

Re:

Post by Molloy57 »

Jim wrote: Thu Nov 29, 07 10:44 am I stand by what I said before. I find this subject so boring. I just don’t give a damn.

This nonsense began back in 1984. Muscle Car Review used road-test data from old issues of Motor Trend, Car & Driver, and other magazines to decide which was the fastest musclecar. MCR said the '70 Buick GS Stage 1 was the third fastest with a 13.38 quarter-mile e.t. and the fastest Hemi-powered musclecar, a 13.50-second '68 Charger, was back in fifth place. – Therefore a Buick GS Stage 1 was a faster car than a Hemi Charger.

Well, it doesn’t take a genius to figure out the truth of this.

I believe a stone stock Hemi Charger will run 13.50.

I have owned several ‘stock’ Hemi cars, and they will run mid 13’s straight out of the box. OK, I haven’t run 13.50, the best I ever managed in a bog standard Hemi was 13.62 with no traction, in my ’69 Road Runner, I can tell you that car was totally stock. But that doesn’t prove anything. I have only ever made a dozen or so runs up the quarter in a car in my life. I am not a racer. If I was a better driver, and messed around with optimum timing, tyre pressures etc, I am sure I could have run 13.50, - or maybe better. I remember John Maynard doing just that in his stock 67 Hemi GTX at the very first Mopar Euronats at Santa Pod in 1994. He got it down to 13.25.

I don’t believe a stock Buick GS Stage 1 455 can run 13.38 as it left the factory. They just don’t do that. I don’t care what anyone says, bog stock that is a 14 second car.

So all this began because a race prepared Buick can beat a stock Hemi Charger. Big deal. Hemi’s have been out there every day for over 40 years beating everybody, but that doesn’t count.

As I said before; it is only a bunch of sad Buick owners with a chip on their shoulder that can hold up just one thing and say “look here’s proof!!”
Well, I’m not interested in hearing it, and I doubt many others are either.
[The GTX went 13:01 for sure, and though I can’t prove it with time slips but I’m sure 12:89. It was a monster sleeper]