Pete Norman's 318 Volvo

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

Jim

Pete Norman's 318 Volvo

Post by Jim »

Does anyone on here remember this car....

During the 1970's I worked with Pete.
One evening in 1979 driving a 1972 Dodge Challenger he took out a tall lamppost on the A40 Western Avenue near Ruislip with the car ending up on its roof totally destroyed. We brought the wreck back to his place and took it apart for everything salvageable.

Nearby in South Ruislip was a 1967 Volvo 123GT 2 door for sale with a dead engine. So we bought it and towed it back to Pete's place. It wasn't an easy job installing the Dodge running gear. We wanted the engine well back with the weight behind the front wheels enabling the use of a specially made radiator and the stock Dodge fan. A new bulkhead and tunnel had to be made to get the 318 in position. It fitted between the standard shock towers by a couple on mm each side. We fitted a restraining chain on the left side to keep the engine from kicking sideways.

The rear end was the biggest problem. The skinny diff and IRS had to go, so we made a rear chassis to hang leaf springs each side, and shortened the Dodge 8 3/4 to fit into the wheel arches which needed an extra couple of inches "tubbing" to clear the Dodge wheels. Fortunately the stock Volvo bolt pattern is the same as Mopar for the front wheels.

We added an aluminium intake and 4 barrel, a pair of 2.02 valve 1970 340 heads, a mild cam, shift kit in the trans, and a 3.23 posi in the rear. The main thing was to keep the car looking completely stock Volvo. Only the Dodge wheels gave it away. The car was fast, reliable and Pete's daily driver for 17 years until the splines on an axle shaft sheared off in 1996. By then Pete was done with it and sold the car to a Volvo dealer who planned to repair it. It was getting a bit old by then so now when I check the reg on the DVLA it wasn't used again so it seems they didn't bother. I don't know what happened to it after that. I wonder if anyone on here knows where it is now, or if it still exists?

Derek

Re: Pete Norman's 318 Volvo

Post by Derek »

Great story Jim, I'm sure you have a lot more.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I remember the car from way back when, I hope it’s still around.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Adam

Post by Adam »

I remember that car (and Pete) very well Jim. I still had the radiator out of the Challenger until recently!
guy whitwam

Post by guy whitwam »

Hi Jim
Always had a hankering for an old Volvo and yes I do remember seeing this down at your place many years ago , like you , would love to know what became of it .
I nearly went on a classic car rally around Sri Lanka , they ship your car over , organise all the stops and routes , then came covid , and we really wanted to buy an old Volvo such as Pete's , albite something more original and went to look at a couple , one a total shed but the other an 1800 with twin Strombergs was spot on and under £10k in Burgundy .
Would love to have a go at that or do the South Africa trip .
Good luck in your search .
Yours
GUY :salute: