It's Friday so let's rock!

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

RobTwin

Re: It's Friday so let's rock!

Post by RobTwin »

Cool. Anything like the original band, now there's no original members left? :-k

We saw them at Reading in 1979, around the time of their 2nd album, Flirtin' With Disaster... (not my photo, unfortunately)
Attachments
molly-hatchet.jpg
molly-hatchet.jpg (24.74 KiB) Viewed 6475 times
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

RobTwin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 23 1:26 am Cool. Anything like the original band, now there's no original members left? :-k
The songs sounded the same, Bobby Ingram has been with the band since 1986, when Danny Joe Brown was still lead singer.

However the new singer was struggling to hit some of the notes. Not as bad as Axl Rose at Glastonbury though. Still a good gig.
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Mark B wrote: Sun Jul 09, 23 5:24 pm
RobTwin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 23 1:26 am Cool. Anything like the original band, now there's no original members left? :-k
The songs sounded the same, Bobby Ingram has been with the band since 1986, when Danny Joe Brown was still lead singer.

However the new singer was struggling to hit some of the notes. Not as bad as Axl Rose at Glastonbury though. Still a good gig.
:lol: :thumbright:

Our last gig was Billy Gibbons, last Sunday. He's showing signs of his 73 years now but as he never had any high notes to hit, probably helps with his longevity :lol:
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

RobTwin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 23 1:26 am We saw them at Reading in 1979, around the time of their 2nd album, Flirtin' With Disaster... (not my photo, unfortunately)
Very cool to have seen them back in the day. And Whitesnake, when they were a proper rock band, with the Marsden and Moody line up.
Reading-1979.jpg
Reading-1979.jpg (45.94 KiB) Viewed 6402 times
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Mark B wrote: Mon Jul 10, 23 10:32 am
RobTwin wrote: Sun Jul 09, 23 1:26 am We saw them at Reading in 1979, around the time of their 2nd album, Flirtin' With Disaster... (not my photo, unfortunately)
Very cool to have seen them back in the day. And Whitesnake, when they were a proper rock band, with the Marsden and Moody line up.
Reading-1979.jpg
Yes that was a memorable gig/festival for us as it was our first Reading Festival (we went to Led Zep at Knebworth a few weeks before that but that was only one day and needless too say, is a tad more memorable ;) ).

Unfortunately the actual line-up for Reading in '79 differed a bit from that poster - Thin Lizzy and The Ramones were replaced by Scorpions and Nils Lofgren.

I'd have said The Police were a no-show as well, if you'd asked me, as I don't remember seeing them, but they did headline the Friday according to this:
https://myvintagerock.com/2015/02/08/re ... gust-1979/
so I must have seen them... #-o :oops:
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

RobTwin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 23 11:33 am Thin Lizzy and The Ramones were replaced by Scorpions and Nils Lofgren.
Wonder why Thin Lizzy cancelled the gig. That would have been the Black Rose Tour. Phil and Scott were starting to use heroin around that time.
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Mark B wrote: Mon Jul 10, 23 12:14 pm
RobTwin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 23 11:33 am Thin Lizzy and The Ramones were replaced by Scorpions and Nils Lofgren.
Wonder why Thin Lizzy cancelled the gig. That would have been the Black Rose Tour. Phil and Scott were starting to use heroin around that time.
In that link it says that Gary Moore had just left (again) :roll:
Mark B

Post by Mark B »

RobTwin wrote: Mon Jul 10, 23 12:23 pm In that link it says that Gary Moore had just left (again) :roll:
From Gary Moore Wikipedia page:

"Moore abruptly left Thin Lizzy that July in the middle of another tour. He had become fed up with the band's increasing drug use and the effects it was having on their performance. Moore subsequently said he had no regrets about leaving the band, "but maybe it was wrong the way I did it. I could've done it differently, I suppose. But I just had to leave."
Mark
1970 Challenger A66
www.dodgechallenger.uk
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Post by Stu »

It’s not Friday and it’s not particularly rock, but one here for Dave999, after a conversation at the Nats.

https://youtu.be/Z6oQ4oRH_nc?feature=shared
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

So is anyone going to see The Eagles with Steely Dan?

Only £120 for the cheapest seats or £442 for the best :shock:
Steve

Post by Steve »

Been a few times over the years, not the same without Don Felder and Glenn Frey. The Hell Freezes Over show at Wembley Stadium was superb.

Always preferred Don Henleys solo stuff, his 1990 'End of the Innocence' Tour was far better than any of the Eagles shows Ive been to. His 'Cass County' Tour was very good but the venue in Manchester wasnt. Sterile and devoid of atmosphere.

If you are interested, there is a great 2 part documentary out on the Eagles (Netflix did have it) and an excellent Don Henley Q&A with Billy Joel on Youtube. He really knows his music history, impressive.

If you fancy a reasonably priced, very professional tribute, try Talon. They are musically very good. Only critisism is they dont use the bass player enough for vocals. He sounds just like Don Henley. The main lead vocal fella is good but can be a bit 'cruise ship' at times.

Enjoy if you are going :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Derek

Post by Derek »

I've always liked this, especilly the into.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Steve wrote: Thu Jan 25, 24 1:37 pm Been a few times over the years, not the same without Don Felder and Glenn Frey. The Hell Freezes Over show at Wembley Stadium was superb.

Always preferred Don Henleys solo stuff, his 1990 'End of the Innocence' Tour was far better than any of the Eagles shows Ive been to. His 'Cass County' Tour was very good but the venue in Manchester wasnt. Sterile and devoid of atmosphere.

If you are interested, there is a great 2 part documentary out on the Eagles (Netflix did have it) and an excellent Don Henley Q&A with Billy Joel on Youtube. He really knows his music history, impressive.

If you fancy a reasonably priced, very professional tribute, try Talon. They are musically very good. Only critisism is they dont use the bass player enough for vocals. He sounds just like Don Henley. The main lead vocal fella is good but can be a bit 'cruise ship' at times.

Enjoy if you are going :thumbright:
Thanks Steve. It's one my big regrets, not seeing (the) Eagles back in their heyday, when it would have been a tad cheaper too :roll:

I saw that Eagles documentary when it was first out on the BBC. Prob the best music doc I've seen tbh =D> The Lynyrd Skynyrd one's very good too, if you're interested in them.

I just got us Black Crowes tickets for Hammersmith in May, £75. Not quite the same, I know, but that's steep enough :lol:
Steve

Post by Steve »

I will have a look for that one Rob. I love music documentaries. Thanks for the recommendation. Theres a good Linda Ronstadt on th BBC as well. Lots of crossovers with Jackson Brown/ Eagles etc.

I was really into the Black Crowes when they surfaced (Sting Me is my favourite song of theirs) but never got to see them. I would say you will probably enjoy that show more than the Eagles to be honest. Love this unplugged version....

https://youtu.be/3L8-I6nfxYI?si=ijFt9w_uaX2Jv2O4

As Southern Rock goes, my favourite band are the Drive by Truckers. I dont do concerts anymore but would go and see them again. I saw them in a lovely old theatre in Leamington Spa a few years ago, they absolutely blew me away with their stage presence, sound etc, they were obviously really enjoying what they do and were very loud!!!!

https://youtu.be/kvJ-lWOZMYg?si=4mBcLF8yU9qlO65V

Enjoy your night out Rob and all the best. Lovely day here so just off out in the old Polara :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Gas for GOSH

Post by Gas for GOSH »

Southern rock’s always been my favourite music, Billy Powells keyboards gave Skynyrd the edge over The Outlaws as he added a balance to the triple lead guitars. Molly Hatchet I agree were too samey , I preferred Blackfoot to them. If you like Southern rock but haven’t heard the Outlaws live album Bring it back alive give that a go, likewise Blackfoots Marauder.

Mike Estes was once a Skynyrd guitarist (on Endangered Species) and he teamed up with I think Dave Hlubek from Molly Hatchet to form Skinny Molly. Then Hlubek left and was replaced by a Blackfoot guy. Saw them twice in Penzance last decade. They’ve done two decent albums and are great live if they are still going.

For me the best Southern rock inspired artist around at the moment is Laura Cox, French guitarist brought up on Skynyrd and AcDc. Started as a YouTuber over a decade ago, now made 3 decent albums. Lots of her live shows on YouTube, the Rockpalast one at the start of covid with no audience has the best sound.
"Now some guys they just give up living - start dieing little by little, piece by piece. Some guys come home from work and wash up, then go racing in the streets...." Bruce Springsteen