440 Engine build for friend

Moderator: Moderators

GranSport

440 Engine build for friend

Post by GranSport »

Hi,
Have a friend who wants a head and cam swapped into his 67 (possibly 68) big Chrysler with a 440. Good news is that book compression should be 10-1 on earlier engines.

He has the parts:
Edelbrock Performer RPM Heads 60929
Comp Cams Extreme Energy Cam (CL21-225-4) Duration at 050 240/246, Lift Int/Exh 0.507/0.510
Roller lifters (I can check the make)
He already has an Edelbrock intake fitted to the car.

Question is...
Out of the box will this be a good combination fast street build that he can then add additional parts such as headers (he has the non HP std iron exhaust manifolds), torque converter etc.
I will run a compression check and make sure the engine is sound but just want to manage his expectations.
Also- The heads specify 3/8" pushrods, any possible clearance issues?

All advice most welcome.
All the best
Eddie Cross
Dave-R

Re: 440 Engine build for friend

Post by Dave-R »

You will need good quality adjustable roller rockers added to that list and 1-7/8th primary headers.

Also it will need a higher stall than stock converter or the engine revs will pull down when put into gear.

You can't add bits as you go. Everything needs to work as a matched package. The carb will need re-tuning too.

But it will be a strong street engine.
GranSport

Post by GranSport »

Thanks Dave. Appreciated.
Eddie
Dave Napier

Post by Dave Napier »

While the engine is out I'd be deglazing the bores, re-ringing and fitting new bearings (if that's all it needs). You might run in to issue's with pushrod clearance on the block and heads, you will need to assemble and check. You could be OK given that it's only 1/2" lift and if you stick to 1.5 ratio arms. Running a roller lifter ? (I'm guessing a hydraulic roller) you will likely need a custom pushrod length but you will need the rocker arms to determine correct length. Probably need different rear gears to make the most of the engine combo, something around the 3.91 ratio.
Also agree with what Dave said and it'll be a fun drive when done :) .
'74 Challenger..9.46 @ 145.9 1/4, 6.001 @ 118 1/8 so far. 4023lb !!! # N/A, Marsh performance 655ci, Indy Maxx, T/R, Indy 600-13 X's, Street legal, pump gas, full interior, Cal-Tracs, mufflers, 4.10's and real 10.5 radials.
9.51 @ 142.4 1/4, 6.003 @ 114 1/8 with the old mule 580 wedge.
RHD '68 Barracuda Fastback 323ci street/strip. Best ET 13.88 @ 99.03
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

would you need to bush/restrict oil flow to the lifters as well?

i know nothing about big blocks but on some motors even with retrofit roller lifters, the length of the lifter bore, the way it intersects with the oil gallery and the cam you run means that top section where the roller is i.e the "forks" for want of a better word, of the roller move into a position that intersects with a big open window into the lifter oil gallery causing a total loss of oil pressure

solution is to bore lifter bores and put in a sleeve with a small oil hole that sits above the danger zone on the lifter at full lift but still has access to the oil in the gallery

No idea if you have to do this on a big block
i did find out i had to do this on my aussie engine, my lifter bores have big hole like they are bored offset through a wide oil gallery...but mine is a weird six cylinder v8 may be different,
escalating cost for machine shop work certainly helped me dismiss the idea of a roller cam

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave Napier

Post by Dave Napier »

Good point. I've never run a hydraulic roller cam and it can happen. I'd be checking to make sure.
'74 Challenger..9.46 @ 145.9 1/4, 6.001 @ 118 1/8 so far. 4023lb !!! # N/A, Marsh performance 655ci, Indy Maxx, T/R, Indy 600-13 X's, Street legal, pump gas, full interior, Cal-Tracs, mufflers, 4.10's and real 10.5 radials.
9.51 @ 142.4 1/4, 6.003 @ 114 1/8 with the old mule 580 wedge.
RHD '68 Barracuda Fastback 323ci street/strip. Best ET 13.88 @ 99.03
GranSport

Post by GranSport »

Thanks again guys. Apologies- should have said roller rockers not roller lifters.

Regards
Eddie
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

no probs

only caveat with the roller rockers is aim for correct length pushrods so that a minimum of adjuster thread is sticking out below rocker.
the threaded section needs the support of the rocker body. too much shear stress and i've seen pictures posted here and elsewhere of them snapped off.

obviously you can never tell if they snapped because they snapped or if something else was at play. but pays to play safe few threads rather than 1/2 an inch.

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
GranSport

Post by GranSport »

Wise words. Thanks Dave.
Eddie