1968 Charger - your opinions on advert...

Mopars For sale

Moderator: Moderators

Prothed

1968 Charger - your opinions on advert...

Post by Prothed »

Hi All. I'm thinking of putting my 68 Charger up for sale, as I've owned it nearly 25 years and am now using it very little (and wouldn't mind a new project).
I've written out the text of an advert below, but I would welcome any (constructive :) ) comments - for example - Is the tone of the advert attractive to potential buyers? Too technical?
I've left out the usual cliches - 'iconic muscle car', 'powerful V8', 'sounds awesome' etc etc, but maybe they attract some buyers?
Where to advertise? Car and Classic (upmarket and they can handle the payment transfers)?
How much? Difficult. UK prices seem lower than US for decent cars, but there have been some horrible 'projects' (to put it kindly) on ebay here for £25K. So, £59K ??

Here goes --------------------------------------------------------------

This is a 1968 Dodge Charger – an ex-California, big block car sold by Atlantic Dodge, Los Angeles in September 1968.
Imported to the UK around 1990 and owned by me since 2000.

All original body panels, floors, trunk, wheels and glass. This car has been maintained in as close to original driving condition as possible. Where replacement trim and interior parts were needed these have been sourced from reputable US suppliers such as Year One and Legendary Auto Interiors.

The original 383ci engine was replaced less than four thousand miles ago by a completely rebuilt 440 –
- Late model block
- Forged steel crank (nitrided)
- Speed-Pro L2355F30 Forged Pistons (+30)
- Edelbrock Performer RPM Cam , Comp Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Set
- High volume oil pump , Carter fuel pump
- Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold
- Mopar HP exhaust manifolds
- Mopar Performance electronic ignition , Mopar Performance electronic distributor
- Holley 750 DP carburettor (plus Holley 600 vac sec – see below)

The car is supplied with both a Holley 4150HP 750cfm mechanical-secondary carb for maximum wide-open performance use and a Holley 4160 600cfm unit with vacuum secondaries and electric choke which gives easier cold starting and smoother part-throttle operation. Holley recommend the 750 for race use above 5000 rpm but say that in real life the smaller unit is superior for road use.

Complete stainless exhaust system incorporating all mandrel bends, x-pipe, dual mufflers and QuickTime electric cutouts to give both drone-free motorway cruising and the sound of open headers when the occasion requires.

The drivetrain consists of a TorqueFlite transmission (fully rebuilt by Alders Automatics) and Sure Grip 3.23 differential (clutch type).
The original Magnum 500 wheels are retained, with disc front brakes, drum rear.

The original paintwork was AA1 Metallic Silver (a $21.95 option in 1968) but had been resprayed red prior to my ownership. As a temporary measure it was sprayed satin black and… …that was over twenty years ago. I thought the triple-black finish perfectly matched the image of the car and public reaction at shows seemed to agree. If the car were refinished in its original colour it would be (to the best of my knowledge) the only one in the UK.

The centre console interior with correct horn ring steering wheel has been restored.
For improved convenience and safety a number of common electrical modifications have been made –
- Headlight relays are installed to improve brightness.
- The interior ammeter wiring has been bypassed at the bulkhead connector to avoid possible overheating.
- Remote central locking/alarm is fitted.
- A modern CD/stereo is hidden in the glove box, with power aerial (little used to be honest).
- The front indicators have been fitted with ‘dual filament’ amber and white LED bulbs to give separate sidelights and turn indicators. (To meet UK regulations and avoid MOT discussions).
- Similarly, the dual rear lights can be switched between their original US operation (combined tail light and turn signal) and UK standard (separate tail and turn lamps).

All of the above have been carried out such that they can easily be removed/reversed if required in order to return the car to original US specification.

The car has an extensive file of documentation including the build sheet, original owner’s manual and warranty, workshop manual plus the invoices, receipts, MOTs, photos, etc. from my ownership.

Registered historic, so free from road tax, MOT, ULEZ requirements, but will be supplied with a new MOT at buyers request.
Ready to drive anywhere.
cadboy

Re: 1968 Charger - your opinions on advert...

Post by cadboy »

That is a very good advert and your price is very very good for a 68 Charger in excellent condition.
good luck
Stu Twin

Post by Stu Twin »

That reads very well Dave.
I'd rather have too much info, than the sketchy info most ads seem to have.
It shows you know about the car and have clearly loved it.

PS wasn't it a promo car for the Drive Angry film? That might impress a few rich punters :D
(apologies if I'm getting this mixed up)

GLWTS
Stuart.
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

Yes it was... I may add that Amber Heard has sat in it...
Drive-Crazy-3D-Photocall.jpg
Drive-Crazy-3D-Photocall.jpg (114.91 KiB) Viewed 1013 times
Blue

Post by Blue »

My only thought is buyers at that price will expect shiny paint. I don’t think there are many UK buyers with 60K of disposable income buying what will be considered a scruffy car, unless it’s worth considerably more painted. This is in no way a criticism of your car, it’s more a critique of your potential buyers.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

That's true, and I have wondered about putting it back to silver, but who knows what colour a new owner would want...
(When we sold our last house it had a new, expensive, kitchen and the first thing the new owners did was have it all ripped out and replaced).
And should it be painted with the original single stage paint (if you could get it) or modern basecoat and ultra-shiny lacquer...
Blue

Post by Blue »

If you were going to paint it, original colour and 2 pack, buyers want shiny! In my limited experience of buyers with plenty of disposable, if it was the wrong colour for them they’d get it painted, but if it doesn’t look impressive in the first place they walk away. Kitchens sell houses but then people rip them out, none of it makes any sense. Anyway, this is just my opinion and you may well attract a buyer with a different mind set. Your ad reads fine, you clearly come across as an enthusiast rather than a no nothing salesman.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
english68

Post by english68 »

Just in case it's any help, some thoughts from someone who spends hours and hours on the internet looking for/dreaming of his next car. (I'm not a dealer, have never made money on a car, love buying and owning them and am terrible at selling them, so have no right to offer advice to anyone...)

a) I'm no genius with the ability to see through the bad stuff - I believe the photos in any ad make the biggest impact. Most buyers will look through the photos and decide to move on or not before reading the words.

(There are some great photographers on here who can get specific on this...)

I go cold when the photos show a dirty/grubby car - especially inside. Or wet, or littered, or with wires hanging out and so on. It takes so little time to sort these basics.

Unless it's a deliberate attempt at art/humour/being different, the setting of the photos says a lot too.

b) New paint puts me off. The satin black might not be to everyone's taste but I don't imagine repainting (properly) could ever cover its cost at sale-time. (If I were the lucky new owner of your car, I would polish thoroughly, enjoy getting the satin to shine as much as possible and stop there...)

c) As previously mentioned, you have hit a solid tone with your wording. Many sellers do that, then get all aggressive when trying to filter-out the time-wasters/scammers/traders/etc. I don't know why, but sometimes I have moved-on from an ad even if I like the car because the tone in that final part makes me not want to deal with that seller. There's a polite way to make those statements...

You probably already know all this so do please only treat as my 2p-worth. I'd love to own another 68 Charger - only very few other cars (Miura SV?) would be ahead of it in my dream collection.

Wishing you the best of luck with the sale.
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

Thanks for this. Food for thought... I'm away for most of July but I'll advertise it as soon as I'm back.
In the meantime - if anyone comes across a likely buyer I'm happy to pay a finders fee :)
Derek

Post by Derek »

Hey Dave, you’ve had your Charger nearly as long as I’ve had mine, nice advert and good luck with the sale.
Are we there yet dad ..... 10 to the gallon but worth it.

MMA Public Relations Officer.
MMA South London and Surrey Area Rep.
V8DVE

Post by V8DVE »

I just need a winning lottery ticket now 😊
'73 Plymouth Duster
'92 Dodge Ram B250 (For Sale)
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

I think its about luck as well ,i have put a bike up for sale several times over the last few years, with not one sniff ..Put it up again a few weeks ago with a buy it now price and bang goes straight away ... I will be putting my Savoy up for sale soon ,i have nothing to gauge my car with .You will struggle to find another in the uk ,and its got all the right bits but how do i price that ?? ,,,good luck with the sale
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
Matt74

Post by Matt74 »

I've seen a few Chargers for sale over the past few months for 45k and up but they seem to be for sale for a long time and not selling.

A few years ago it looked like they were heading for the 100k mark for a nice example but prices seem to be much less now.
I'm just wondering if the bubble has burst?
morgan

Post by morgan »

The values seem all over the place.
Seen them for 50,60,70+ - for stuff that I thought "well thats no better than mine". Then a couple of weeks ago my buddy shows me an ad from rods-n-sods or similar with a 69 Lee with a 500stroker - looked nicely sorted all round - went for 35 I think. I dont know what to think.

I do think its a tipping point though - society generally. The next generation dont view cars like us. I've also seen some reactions of horror to a gas guzzling V8 sitting in the traffic. Which is a fairly new development... but the shift in views is coming I think. 98% positive but its shifting.

Bottom line - be at peace with yourself, forget the £ and accept that when this is all over you can scrap it and think "Wow. I'm glad I had that car". :)
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Prothed wrote: Thu Jun 20, 24 3:58 pm Yes it was... I may add that Amber Heard has sat in it...
Drive-Crazy-3D-Photocall.jpg
I hope that’s all she did in it, given her reputation!!! :lol:

I think blue has it spot on really. IF it were a shiny paint I would view it as being good value. It might cost a buyer as much as £20k to paint a car that big which would put them all in close to £80k which is a bit strong.
High value mopars don’t do well in the UK. The pool of enthusiasts isn’t small, just the pool of enthusiasts with the disposable to be able to put their hand out and shake on a deal.

You might have better luck selling to a dealer on the continent?
-Jon.