Overheating probs

Moderator: Moderators

Minty

Overheating probs

Post by Minty »

My 318 aus charger as decided it does,nt like the sun and as started overheating.i tried all the easier fixes first,flush block,rad,thermostat check etc.theres no mayo in the oil,from cold the temp climbs steaderly and i have to shut her down before she boils over,i read all the old posts on this subject and hopefully some of youguys can point me in the right direction :cry:
1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 -1006 Magnum 360 Rocket ship
1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 rolling shell under restoration -667
2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
Guy

Post by Guy »

Things to check

1: your thermostat is working ok make sure it opens fully.

2: You have good flow from your water pump it is not unknown for the impellars to fall off the back of the pump.

3: Your timin is correct.

4: Most lightly when you flushed the block you didnt get rid of all the sediment out of the block and it has semi blocked the rad and all the flushing in the world will not remove it .
Minty

Post by Minty »

Thanks Guy i,ll check them out !!
TYREMAN

Post by TYREMAN »

did you cure the problem? what was it?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Your gauge OK? Check condition of wiring:

No sign of heat damage/shorts etc.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

SteveB wrote:"Your gauge OK? Check condition of wiring: "

He said it boils over.

Nah, he didnt, he said he shut it down "before she boils over" suggesting the gauge was used to decide when it might boil over. As it hadnt actually boiled over, the temperature gauge could still be in question.

It was just a thought. :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If it helps Minty my temp gauge reads hotter when I turn the lights on :-s . The main culprit for overheating in these small blocks I have noticed seems to be sediment around the rear core plugs which stops proper coolant flow. I think the only way to really get it all out is to pop out the core plugs and have a dig around with a bent up coat hanger then blast it out with jet wash. Having said that I haven't tried the chemical methods.
Minty

Post by Minty »

thats an old post ,2004,how did that get back on there,it was the rad Tyreman,got it recored,been fine ever since ,thanks for your concern guys,mintys fine :)Touch wood
TYREMAN

Post by TYREMAN »

Minty wrote:thats an old post ,2004,how did that get back on there,it was the rad Tyreman,got it recored,been fine ever since ,thanks for your concern guys,mintys fine :)Touch wood
:oops: so it is :oops: i was just looking up overheating problems and there was no ending to this! glad it turned out to be a happy ending and Minty is fine :D