what tyre size

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

what tyre size

Post by Anonymous »

Guys I have 235 60 14's at the moment and one has a flat. My spare is 205 70 14 and it rubs on the front and obviously wont work on the rear. Whats more I cant find any 205 70 14's on eBay apart from an old Merc wheel and tyre

Now I have found several sizes near to what I need but not spot on. I found some good part worn 225 60 14's......will these be okay or will I skid off the road as soon as it rains?? Personally I thought it'd prob be fine but :help:

Also if the above is okay could I even fit 185's to the front (and wider at the rear)or are they too narrow for the rim (Magnums) ?

I know its not the best me for going for part worns but I'm not sure if I'm keeping these wheels and I'll never get through the tread on a new set with the small amount of miles I do so it's just a stop-gap so to speak 8-)

Advise much appreciated!!!!!!!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:help: guys!!

I dont have any spacers fitted...should I get some or are they generally only for more extreme combos?

I'd prefer 70 profile to help the gearing for cruising...

:help:
MattH

Post by MattH »

There should be very little difference. You are only talking 10mm difference in the width of the tyres section width, not necessarily the tread width, so it could well be the same tread width as what you take off. If you are changing a pair on one axle then absolutely fine IMHO.
You can quite easily get two tyres the same "size" according to the numbers written on the sidewalls with noticeably different tread widths if they are from different manufacturers ,because some tyres are built to more of a budget than others. A 225 tyre does not necessarily have a tread width of 225 mm, it can vary quite alot.
I say go for it if the tyres are in good condition, and not cracking or damaged.
As it is slightly smaller you should also have no problems with rubbing of arches etc.
Hope this helps.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
MattH

Post by MattH »

Spacers , NO!
Only to be used if things are fouling, and they will put extra stress on the studs, plus you will have fewer turns of thread holding the wheel on with each nut.
I dont like them!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Cheers Matt. I have now found some 70 profile 205's (same as my spare) So I'd prefer these but I'm unsure what I'm going to do up front. Put it this way - ordinarily, would 205 70 14's on Magnum 500's normally foul up front??

If not I am thinking I must have a wider spare rim than the others..

??
MattH

Post by MattH »

My Charger (in photo) has 205/70 14s on front and they seem fine. The rims are standard for the car,about 7 inch wide I think from memory.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hmmmm. You see the thing is I will have to order the tyres so I need to be 100% sure they'll fit. I'll investigate the 205 spare and see if the rim is bent. :?

Cheers Matt! :thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Are these 14" Rallye wheels...? They look like it to me

Also on the green/blue car, what wheels are these?