Indicator fault

Moderator: Moderators

charger01

Indicator fault

Post by charger01 »

Ok here goes
Indicators work fine on drivers side & also on other side , however if I indicate to turn right & apply the brakes the indicators stick "on". (doesn't do it when turning left) once I release the pedal they start to flash again.
I have replaced the flasher unit, tried new bulbs, there is no rust in the bulb holders in fact they look like new. I have checked the condition of the front flashers & again they are in good order. I have even run extra earth wires from the lights to ground but the problem persists. Any ideas anyone?
:help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help: :help:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

could be indicator switch. they are complicated and have far more contacts than a normal (non USA) system. not expensive
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Check it with the hazzard switch on & see if it does the same.

Don't think the 68 is much different than the 70.
charger01

Post by charger01 »

Hazzards have never worked, switch is still there & wired up. If I switch the hazzards on both green lights on dash flash but nothing at the four corners. I have also replaced the flasher unit for the hazzards. :?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Always thought the brake lights overide the indicators (rear) as I'm sure mine are wired like that. :?

Lookin @ the wiring manual, seems they are supposed to be like it.
charger01

Post by charger01 »

Dont know about the brakes cancelling out the flashers Adam the bulbs have two elements (normal flasher/brake light bulbs SE-12v-P21/5w) if I brake & indicate left the brake lights come on & the indicators also flash, the problem only seems to effect the right side. Any 70 Charger owners had this problem James, Si, Clive how do yours operate?
Jules

Post by Jules »

If everything is earthed ok and flashing without brakes, brakes work ok without flashers, then I'd hazard a guess ( no punn intended ) at either the hazard switch block / connection ( still part of the system at the end of the day ) or as Will D said, the turn signal cam / switch bit.
Don't you just love electrics :shock:
Of All The Senses, The Common One Is The Most Rare !!

MMA/750
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Adrian, this might or might not help , but the four bulbs in the clusters all come on with side lights , the brake & indicators share the same filaments.

I thought the same applied to the 70.
charger01

Post by charger01 »

No Adam, there is a seperate bulb for sidelights, on a 70 there are three bulbs in each cluster. I will take a look at the hazzard switch & indicator stalk tomorrow after work :thumbright:
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I think it will be the turn signal switch. I seem to remember that was one of the many electrical problems I had back when I first took delivery of the Challenger.
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

sounds like one of your back lights is wired wrong

if live the wire from the brake is plumbed into the flasher circuit or shorted into it.

i.e flasher goes on off on off and earths at the light cluster

if the brake light power goes to the flasher as well it fills in the gaps

both are at 12 volts so no the light won't be twice is bright.

this can happen if a twin filamnet bulb with off set bayonet fitting is forced in the wrong way round.

I.e belive. although i may be wrong, in fact i'm often wrong

normal direction indication and emergency flashers work the same in princepal but one works by stop start of the live feed and the latter works by disrupting the earth.

hence other ciruits into the same light cluster can interfere. i.e if the brake lights are not on earthing to the indicators can occur through the brake circuit and they work

brake lights on and the earth that was used before is now at 12 volts hence is not an earth anymore

Dave
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

Like Adam says, my 70 RR uses one filament for the rear sidelights and the bigger filament is used for the brake lights and indicators. If I brake when indicating right, the right brake likes flashes on and off. It's done in the indicator switch.
charger01

Post by charger01 »

If I manage to pull the steering wheel off Mick I will be able to shed some light on it. I need to rig up a puller first.
Thanks for the input though :thumbright:

Tony I dont know if this is any help to you , its for 1970 but I doubt if there is much change in each year :thumbright: