72 challenger 8 3/4 axle probs

Moderator: Moderators

Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

The original Chrysler service people used to suck the oil out. There is only a filler plug. I fitted a drain plug to mine the last time it was apart for more serious gears.

Normal gearbox/axle oil is fine with an open diff. With a suregrip you need to add an aditive or use axle oil made specifically for LSD units.

It sounds like you damaged something alright. It will be expensive. I have not priced the bits but probably not much under £1000 to completely rebuild the axle, fit a LSD unit and replace the ring and pinion if they are damaged.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dave wrote:With a suregrip you need to add an aditive or use axle oil made specifically for LSD units.

Why is that Dave? :)
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

It's cal;led a friction modifier Clivey...basically it ensures that the gears and bearings slip nicely but the sure grip doesn't!
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Clivey wrote: Why is that Dave? :)
Because! :P
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks very much......IVOR!

:lol:
Scooby

Post by Scooby »

Ivor wrote:It's cal;led a friction modifier Clivey...basically it ensures that the gears and bearings slip nicely but the sure grip doesn't!
Hi Ivor ,where can you purchase this additive from.
Rich.
At my Worst,I'm at my Best ......
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

friction modifier is basically just teflon in a bottle, well usually PTFE to be correct

in a clutch type LSD the plates grab badly if normal gear oil is used, a bit like a overheated motorcycle clutch, friction modifier reduces the friction between the plates a little so they glide over each other as the LSD spins out.

each casing has a recommended amount to add, too much and it will slip easier than it should, too little and it will chatter, make horrible grinding noises, you'll soon know if there's none in the oil