new surgrip installed... test run whine noise??

Moderator: Moderators

Kev

Post by Kev »

Less gay gears will whine anyways. Were they brand new? My old used 4.10s whined like a bitch but it turns out it was a green bearing on it's way out. What were your old ratios? Is it a clutch or cone lsd? Bet it feels good if you've gone less gay..... :thumbright:
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

What was your pattern like on the teeth? Did you set pinion depth correctly?
Kev

Post by Kev »

Can't check pinion depth unless the diff is out, this sets your teeth pattern, IE how the pinion interacts with the crown wheel radially, the actual contact between the gear and pinion is set by the side lash, IE where the bearings are screwed in and out. When you got the diff back there should have been white grease marks where your man has set it up and checked the pattern. Who built it? And do they know what they are doing? I reckon your whine is just from the better ratio. They all do that.......WTBSDIF!
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Sorry marty. I assumed you had either fitted the ring and pinion yourself or had some understanding of how they are fitted because they do not just bolt together. It is a lot more complicated then that.

As Kev says. The more teeth on the ring and pinion (the lower the gear) the more noise it makes. Like that noise you can here from a big truck?
So chances are that is all you are hearing.

Fingers crossed the person that built it knew what he was doing.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If it was me i'd pull the centre section and check pattern on the drive and coast side, also check bearings and backlash.

A whine isn't right.....
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

If it was me I would be doing the same Wil but I don't think lad even knows what we are talking about let alone how to do it. He is in the hands of the guy he has paid to fit it.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

If thats the case then Marty you need to take it back to the guy that built it

A pattern check isn't difficult though, putting it right if it's wrong is a little more involved especially if it's pinion depth thats out.

I assemble with a checking bearing on the rear of the pinion first.

Whos ring and pinion ? as some aren't as good as others tolerance wise which means you have to compromise on the backlash a little more than usual, certain R&Ps I divide into 8 and not 4 to be sure on backlash, Richmond and US gear are usually ok at 4, Yukon and the cheaper Randys are best done at 8
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Sounds like youve had done exactly the same as me i.e. swapping 2:73 for 3:55 and a suregrip.

Guess what, mine whines too!

Mine was all installed and set up at Hausers btw.