727 for small block or b/b ?

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

727 for small block or b/b ?

Post by Anonymous »

Cant seem to find out what the main fitting difference is for a 727 to go on a small block and for a big block? are the bolt patterns on tyhe bell different or is there some other difference?

Is there also a difference with an early 727 ie around late 50's early 60's or are the fittings the same,

So what i need to know is can i get an early big block 727 to fit a 69 318? or should i just go lookin for a 727 to fit a small block! :?
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Cheers Latil! would i need the prop aswell?
Blue

Post by Blue »

I950's Torqueflites had a cast iron case. The early aluminium case torqueflites were cable operated up to '65 I think? After that they were linkage operated. Some had a fixed prop flange others had a slip yoke depending on year and application. Six cylinder/ small block and bigblock transmissions do not interchange, the bellhousing pattern is different and the starter location is different (easiest way to tell them apart). A passenger car 727 is the same length big or small block. A 904 is shorter and only comes in 6cylinder or small block flavour.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
morgan

Post by morgan »

Blue wrote: Six cylinder/ small block and bigblock transmissions do not interchange, the bellhousing pattern is different and the starter location is different (easiest way to tell them apart).
Thats useful info.
My SB has a 727 box and I assumed that if I ever changed to a BB then transmission would be fine , just a prop-length change... Just goes to show, always ask da-blue-man !
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

John,

does all that mean then, that a 904 is just a 727 with a different bellhousing shape / bolt pattern? (mid sixties onwards).
Blue

Post by Blue »

No Clivey, a 904 is very similar in design to a 727 but just about everything about it is physically smaller. The valve bodies and the speedo drives are the same but that's about it as regards parts interchangeability between the two.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

So i really need to get a late 60's small block 727, will i need a prop aswell or will that do?

Will i also need a new flex plate? or does that depend on the converter i use.
:read2:
Blue

Post by Blue »

Sorry Mo I've sort of lost track of what you're trying to do....
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

The flex plate fits the convertor.

The 727 is longer than the 904 or (I think) the manual box so the prop shaft is shorter.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Blue wrote:Sorry Mo I've sort of lost track of what you're trying to do....
Have a 69 318 with a 904, want to change to a 727.
A mate has an early 727 from an early hemi (late 50's) wanted to see if it would fit, but now i can see it would be too much hassle.

I think ill look into getting a 727 for a small block, just need to know will my prop fit or will i need to change it too. :thumbright:
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Why do you want to change it?

The 904 is more than strong enough for any 318. A 727 would just rob more power from the engine. And most 318s can't afford to loose any power.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I rebuilt the box before santa pod but rushed it as i wanted to drive the car over this year, only got it together a week or so before! When i was stripping it i noticed that the low/rev band had lost all its lining damaging the surface of the low/rev clutch housing but i didnt have time to locate parts so i cleaned it off as good is i could, i knew it was only a temp fix and would need to be redone, but it would just be nice to have a 727 in there as they take alot more abuse and if i were to maybe put a 360 crate in at some stage it would be ready to rock! but maybe im looking to far ahead, the little 318 goes pretty nice even as 318's go, ireqally dont want to take this box out again and rebuild it and then it lets me down again because of a pump failure or summit silly like that, maybe Duncan could do a decent rebuild on it and that would be enough?
I think ill just bite the bullet and whip it out again and see whats gone!
Blue

Post by Blue »

No need to change to a 727, build the 904 right and you'll be sorted.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mo, dont forget Kev runs 11 second quaters in the Taxi, and thats got a 904 in it and a 318 so they can stand up to a load of abuse.