db's 66 Belvedere ***FOR SALE***

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

fairy nuff Duncan, just looks like it could be a real hazard if you spring a leak in there...especially if Paul was smoking his pipe as he was running up the strip... :shock:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Ivor wrote:fairy nuff Duncan, just looks like it could be a real hazard if you spring a leak in there...especially if Paul was smoking his pipe as he was running up the strip... :shock:
i agree ivor prefer the pump under the car
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
db

Post by db »

I take your point boys but it's gonna be used on the road so the effect of road crud, flying stones & thieving toe-rags makes in-the-trunk seem a lot more desireable. The forward position also gives a couple of feet of steel between the cell and any snoozing lorry drivers.

I'll have good sized vent holes in the wheel well either side of the pump so petrol and fumes can escape.
Actually, no i won't- all they'll do is suck exhaust fumes into the trunk! Hmm... ok, small drain holes in the floor, i'll worry about a vent if it ever starts to smell.
The bottom 2/3rds of the pump is below the tank, it's also behind the tank so under acceleration fuel is pushed towards it, i think/ hope it'll be fine.
If not, i've not wasted a lot of effort, i can just sump the trunk at a later date :thumbright:
No-one will believe you...
db

Post by db »

Pete, this is your fault.... ;)

Well, i'd convinced myself that i could live with the terribly fitted replacement wheel well but after some 'Wise' words (he's right, of course :roll: ) i'd lie awake at night if i never sorted it out.

I'll shortly have a 'B' bod Wheel Well panel for sale....

Latest plan is to keep the tank in the forward position. I'll weld in a flat panel over the well but but sink a box into the floor to take the pump and make a cover to protect it from stuff.
db

Post by db »

Started on the new trunk floor this weekend. Bit of :scratch: to start with but did it in 2 stages and that made a lot more sense :thumbright:
First off Mr Kellogs once again donated lots of cardboard to make a flat panel, then i worked out where the fuel cell and the shiny bits were gonna sit. I decided to make the sump as small as possible and to shape it to keep it neat.
db

Post by db »

Now i know there were concerns about the pump height but the wet bit of it is below the cell so fret ye not ;)

I've got it all marked out on a steel sheet now. I've designed it with as few cuts/welds as poss- hence the fiddly shapes :shock: and added flanges to overlap wherever i do weld it.
One of our local 'Guzzlers' has a ridgeing machine (like an English wheel i'm told), so the dotted lines you see will become ridges. This'll look the part as well as giving it a lot more strength and stopping it acting like a drum!
Attachments
Trunk panel undersealed.jpg
Trunk panel undersealed.jpg (183.57 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Trunk panel bolstered.jpg
Trunk panel bolstered.jpg (156.03 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Trunk panel tacked.jpg
Trunk panel tacked.jpg (161.13 KiB) Viewed 1655 times
Last edited by db on Fri Jan 03, 14 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
db

Post by db »

Well it's been a while since i've updated this, mainly cos i've made **** all progress really!! :evil:

The panel to cover my wheel well was mangled by a well-meaning attempt by a mate to put the swage lines in.
The same guy did a nice job of folding & flanging the box for my fuel pump so i've welded that up into a perfect mirror-image of the box i'd designed- bugger. I have now re-cut and re-welded it to the right way round (no-one will ever know!!)
I've since cut a replacement for the mangled panel but have yet to find anyone who can do swaging for much less than i can buy a swager and do the damn thing myself!

Rear brakes and fuel system are still on hold but my man over the water (a Million thanks again Andy :thumbright: ) Seems to have come up trumps there, watch this space...

The steering/ front suspension etc, which is this years target to complete has yet to be started :roll:
Well, not strictly true- i've greased and re-booted the luvverly Chassisworks billet steering rack, but thats it really :oops:

I have had a closer look at the suspension mounts and they look bloody awful. Either the chassis rails are way out and the mounts have been made differently to compensate, or the whole lot's been chucked together in a hurry with little regard for symmetry or geometry :?
Ho hum!
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

it's really good to read how far you've come with this car dude, I know you've delved a lot further into the resto than many would, or certainly i would have but, that said, speaking mechanically, i never had any idea there was so much needed doing, i certainly wouldn't have thought to check the the rails were straight or how the cage was fitted, lucky you came across these things :?

looking real good!
db

Post by db »

You'd never have spotted stuff like that Hugh unless you'd done the work i'm doing. Bear in mind if it was staying as a racecar, most of what i'm doing wouldn't really be necessary!
It's one o those things- you never intend going that far but these things gain momentum.... fuelled by the curse of perfectionism :?

Trunk panel is complete now, my mate Pete had an old hand roller that put in the swage lines very nicely!
I've started prepping the trunk for welding it in & painting and in typical style- i'm now stripping the whole trunk, digging out all the old sealant & cleaning off loose paint :roll:
More pics later...
db

Post by db »

More progress...
db

Post by db »

Trunk all prepped now, i've ground out any rust (very little-whew!) Removed as much old paint as i could be bothered and rust-killed all bare metal.
Ready to weld in new panel :D
db

Post by db »

WELDING DONE HOORAY :D

It's come out much better than i'd hoped, kinda looks like it's always been there...

I tacked it all the way round, bit by bit so it didn't distort.
Once secure, i fully welded inside and out so it's super-strong and then made a 1" box brace which i stitched across between the frame rails.
db

Post by db »

To make the sump a bit stronger and look better i drew an X on each face and whacked it with a bolster, making a nice 'pyramid' effect. I also drilled a drain hole in the bottom.
Bit o' seam sealer, a slap of underseal and it's all done!
Next is to figure out how to mount the tank & pump and paint the trunk.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well done, Paul; progressing nicely :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Looks great Paul...don't forget the drain hole for when it leaks! ;)
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com