Valiant engine removal (318) advice

Moderator: Moderators

latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Does this help?
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Lovely Steve, very "country"! :thumbright:
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

take it out all connected.

you need a see saw thing for your crane

there are little dowels between bellhousing and engine or is that engine and box that may be offset. (well there are on the 6 cylinder)
you don't want to twiddle them out of orientation or you can knack your flex plate when you bolt it all back.

or take box of bellhousing and leave that on the block if you can

you can on the manual not sure about the auto

you got a 904 or a Borg warner 35

should be a 904 which is much better Borgy 35s were over stressed in a stag or rover.

if you need a book

you can't go far wrong with this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Australia-Chrys-7 ... dZViewItem

has complete take out and rebuild instructions for

BW35 two types
BW manual 3 and 4 speed
engine stuff on hemi 6 and 318/340

or i can scan the relevant bits

or have a mootch on the hemi6 packs knowledge base
some mad bugger spent a week of his life scanning in the above book and you can down load it

dunno if he ever finished though

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Kev

Post by Kev »

Autobox (904 and 727) casings have the bellhousing cast on, Dave
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Right, am going to show some extreme ignorance here. The only difference I can spot between 904 and n727 is that one (the latter) has a tailshaft. Is that it?

(be gentle) :oops:
latil
Location: Steve Pearson MMA/014. East Grinstead and Carmarthen.

Post by latil »

Nope,that pic is of two 904s. :lol:
1965 Belvedere 2 426 Wedge.

Climate change,global warming,the biggest tax raising scam ever devised by man for mankind.

Motivating Our People,Accelerating Rapidly.
Blue

Post by Blue »

No, that one Kev has posted a picture of is some horrendous lash up that one of the trackoiler boys had created, in a shed under the influence of stupid pills. The thought of that thing sitting between your legs does not bear thinking about. Some people need protecting from themselves! To get back to your original question, a car 904 and a car 727 look very similar to the untrained eye, the 904 is much the same only smaller both externally and internally than a 727. The shape of the pan is the easiest way to tell which one you are looking at.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
aussie pete

Post by aussie pete »

Remove radiator,undo/remove engine mounts,undo gearbox mounts (obviously diconnect everything else relevant) drag engine and gearbox as far forward as possible, this allows access to the bolts, remove all bolts except for a couple that will remain accessable, push engine and gearbox back, re-connect gearbox mount, support front of gearbox, support engine and drag fwd
add a bit of jacking,levering,grunting & swearing
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

auto boxes have the bell housing cast on

yikes i knew that honest

yeah sorry

manuals don't

just ignore me :)

Blue

is the difference between 904 and 727 oil pan the shape of the corner that is cut off

or is that the difefrence between a 904 and a BW35?

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

I found it much easier to get to those bolts after I removed the oil filter and dizzy. But Pete's idea is very good aswell, I will probably do it that way next time.

Good idea to give the whole area a good clean aswell, I always miss a bolt when everything is dirty coz I can't see it under the crud. Your engine might still have the bellhousing supports mounted, they have to come off the block aswell before you can drop them. I can't remember if the converter cover plate is fixed through a block - bellhousing bolt aswell? You might want to take it off just incase.
Kev

Post by Kev »

2 bolts for the starter, then another bolt just above the top starter bolt, it won't come apart without that one out :oops: :oops: :oops:
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Did this not too long ago, disconnect everthing from the gearbox, but leave it connected to the cross member, and like kev said, remove the starter motor, then i put a trolly jack under the gearbox sump, then removed the gear box crossmember, lowerd the whole lot slightly to get to the top bellhousing bolts, with slight force :) , pulled the gear box back and lowerd it to the floor, the part i dont remember, is if i supported the engine at the rear or not, think i just let it rest on the steering arm.? .
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Good stuff!

By the way, Are you using those doors you bought off Trigger? If not I have a home for them.