The Project (Old race cars never die)

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Blue

Post by Blue »

Hmm, see what you mean. Not so sure, what do the rest of you think? Doe's the pickup screw in past where it's broken, or is there a gap? Is it still at 3/8" or has it already been tapped out to 1/2"? I'm thinking it would split if you tried to tap it out. I can see the crank has a lot of work in it, appears to be fully polished with no sharp edges. You have main studs which is good. Block looks to have been fully de burred. Other than that bit of damage that looks to be a nice piece.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
Pete

Post by Pete »

Opening it up wider and deeper and tapped for a 1/2" hemi pickup may work - get Geoff Hauser to check it out. I would always go for a big pick up mod for a race car as a matter of course.

The other fix is to run a single external line system as long as you can get a good sel on the block plug to make sure the oil does not cavitate. THis is not too expensive either.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

I think that would be the best idea. You would need to plug the old pick up port, but you could do that at the oil pump end instead. From what I've seen so far, I'd be very tempted to put it back together with some good heads and that .590 solid cam you've got and have at it...
Pete

Post by Pete »

Good studded mains as well :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Blue

Post by Blue »

No you don't have to, you could fit a static pick up into the pan you have now, assuming the deep bit has flat sides. I should have a new Milodon pump cover for sale shortly, you would just need the pick up for the pan and the oil line and you'd be sorted.
Dave-R

Re: The Jim Smith Project

Post by Dave-R »

pete walton wrote:thanks to my neighbour,the the man who gave you the first page three girl many years ago. She looks good internally
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You dirty old man!
RayC

Re: The Jim Smith Project

Post by RayC »

Dave wrote:
pete walton wrote:thanks to my neighbour,the the man who gave you the first page three girl many years ago. She looks good internally
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

You dirty old man!
:D :D :D
Blue

Post by Blue »

OK, '67 cars used an oddball single stud idler arm, which is both crap and expensive to replace, they have modified the k frame to use the later bolt through type, good move. The holes in the chassis rails are to heat up the captive nuts to release the bolts when they couldn't undo them. It's not a problem, just tidy 'em up or weld plates over them. The convertor looks like they picked it up at a swap meet, seller is claiming it stalled to 3500 behind a small block. looks like it could be a 10", it will stall higher behind a small block, maybe up to 3800. You need a converter to match the cam, in your case probably a 9" with 4200-4500 stall speed. I reckon that converter is one of the reasons your car wasn't performing. Need to find out what gears you have in the axle next, anything less than 4.88's would be doing you no favours....