Rust on my 72 challenger

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Rust on my 72 challenger

Post by Anonymous »

Here some nasty rust I have to sort out on my 72...suggestions as to how to tackle the problem are most welcome.
Pete

Post by Pete »

The Fenders that Topbanana is taking off are in better nick than those.

I always worry when I see rot in the "A" pillars......

Is this a DIY job or are you going to put it in to a body shop?
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Im not sure at the minute Pete, might try and get a couple of prices to do the metal work, Im gonna do the paint strip etc. then get some one to do primer and paint job.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Snap , looks like we've got a matching pair , I assume your Challenger had a vinyl roof . My Satellite did (badly fitted) which I'm sure caused the rust on mine . As for how to tackle it its got to initially be a question of money,confidence and what you want out of your car when its done (show car, daily driver etc) if I could afford to get someone to do mine I would have, but I couldn't so its diy for me. I have done some welding before but not body work so its a steep learning curve!. I dont know if E bodies are the same as B bodies in this area but on mine in the windshield recess there are what look like nail heads which hold the clips which retain the windshield trim ,they are located every 5 or so inches around recess , so its looks like you might have lost a couple , I've turned up a few myself then welded them in the replacement patch ,if you decide to tackle it yourself and you need them I'll send you some. on the fender front, full fenders and patch panels are available see www.autobodyspecialt.com
hope this helps
cheers Doug
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

Pete's right on the money there Red. I always worry when I see A pillars in that sort of state.

They need taking all the way back to sound metal in order to retain the integral strength of the shell and best to make sure that are clamped to a jig to ensure the car doesn't go down the road sideways after it's repaired.

Blue will tell you to put a cage in it, but I assume this is a resto job, so I would put the repair in the hands of someone you can trust.
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

moonman wrote: I dont know if E bodies are the same as B bodies in this area but on mine in the windshield recess there are what look like nail heads which hold the clips which retain the windshield trim ,
They are phillips head self tapping screws holding the clips. Both available new. You need to remove these to fit a new vinyl top.
Anonymous

Rust

Post by Anonymous »

Sheet n i thought mine was bad. Just take your time and dont apply to much heat in one place at any one time and swap sides allow it to cool then start again opposite side you will get there its just do it right cut all the rust out no matter how much and dont forget there are new roofs available now so all is not lost and as Dave siad you will need to remove all the trim fitting but there not expensive new anyway. Good luck and keep posting.. :thumbright: