Phill440's 440

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

DaveB

Post by DaveB »

What Blue & Pete Walton said :thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Long and Short of it is Phill.

440 heads only work on 440 engines!!! But well ported ones will work on 470/493's

Good aftermarket ALI heads will flow enough for 500 cubes!

543's need serious heads, B1's etc.etc.etc.

There's no replacement for displacement, but its always a trade off???

Buyer beware, don't go overboard!

Bacca.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hey all,

No real progress on the rebuild at the mo as I'm saving and scrapping cash for bits.

I think when cash allows I'll be going for a 500 stroker kit, nice n solid, should go well with my Edelbrock heads etc etc.

In the meantime, can anyone shed any light on this for me? Apologies for the poor quality pic but you can just make out a nick on the top of the lifter. 3 lifters have been marked like this, this one being the worst offender. These lifters are/were all new when I put the performer cam in back in May.

Qusetion is, why has this happened and are they going to be ok to go back in the rebuild?

Cheers as always :thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Take a look @ the cam lobe & you'll see the problem.

I would be fitting new cam & lifters.

:thumbright:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Phill , are you not going with the stroker now? , probably cheaper doing it now rather than later. :thumbright:

Did you check the cam for 'walk' , seem to remmember you having overheating issues (retarding timing) , could be the problem with regard to the lifters too.

Just a thought. :wacko:

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Hi Adam,

Yes definitely going for a stroker kit, either 500cu or 511.......

We did have a look at the cam and it was fine, totally unmarked. The rods were blue from the heat, and there was plenty of gunge in the water ways so I think my progressive excessive heat problem was the rods n bearings slowing disintegrating.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

500/512" are for the little ole 400 blocks , gotta go @ least 528" & mean buisness Phill.

:D
Rogue Trooper

Post by Rogue Trooper »

:atthemovies:
1970 Charger 500
1934 Coupe
1954 F100
1972 Norton Commando Fastback

Your Mum Says Hi.

Mopar a God amongst insects.

Rule in Hell or be a Slave in Heaven.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

:atthemovies: :atthemovies: :atthemovies:

Come on Phill , tell us about the build.

Dave-R

Re: six-pack

Post by Dave-R »

Six-pack Speedshop wrote:and we used almost always 1 7/8 headers, depending on the HP we use 2.5 or 3" exhaust systems.
Try Dougs headers. As good as TTIs but use 2-inch primaries into a 3.5-inch collector. :thumbright:
Anonymous

Progress 29/01/09

Post by Anonymous »

Hi all,

It's been a looooong while since I've had anything to add to this thread as the first step was to scrape together some :mytwocents:

So back in November, with some wonga put by, I finally got to spec the engine that I wanted/could afford to build and ordered the parts.

I decided to go to Hauser's for the parts rather than an eBay or similar stroker kit.

From all the good advice gained here coupled with a slight reality check I've opted for a 500cu stroker kit. So we'll be running Eagle 4.150 4130 crank, Eagle H beam rods and Diamond Forged pistons. Combined, we were looking at an actual cu of 497.

With the motor all stripped out and a handily diarised work meeting oop north in place ,I arranged to take the block up to Hauser's for cleaning and honing (using company fuel :D ). It had previously had a +30 bore which all looked good so a clean up and hone would be all I needed. Also Hauser's were going to do the clearance work for me and balance the rotating assembly.

This was in the first week of December. On the 19th I had a call from Hauser's with some bad news, the bores had suffered from some serious water damage :(

Not the end of the world to fix, just need a re-bore to +40 and we are back in business. Only thing, the pistons that I'd specially ordered are now too small :roll: So we've had to order another set and will have to find a buyer for the first lot. I'm hoping Hauser's can find a buyer for them before I have to find another £580 + vat!

So that's where we are at the moment. The new pistons should be here any day now if they're not here already, and as soon as its all rechecked for clearance and balanced we can start the build.

I've attached the pics Hauser's sent me of the water damaged bores that were revealed after honing.

Hope to have some better news and pictures soon!
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

make sure non off them have any chance of being a crack phil
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Was this the 440 block that was in the general?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

make sure non off them have any chance of being a crack phil
Thanks for the heads up Dunc :thumbright: Yeah sorry, I forgot to say that the block is back from re-machining and all is ok, Phew!

Hi Adam, yes this is my block from the general. Could this have been the cause of all my carb boiling issues do you think??

Question: rather than painting the block I was thinking about maybe getting it powder coated. Has anyone done this? Is it advisable?

Also, regarding my chipped followers shown earlier in the thread, Geoff Hauser reckoned that they were just a faulty batch of lifters, so a new set are going in when the time comes!
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Powder coating is difficult on a block and the powder gets everywhere, and if its not cleaned off the places you dont want it, its a problem :evil:

Also can spread into Bolt holes etc when heating and curing .....Paint it, save the £££ for power

Good company Stateside for Pistons etc...very helpful guys :thumbright:
http://www.campbellenterprises.com/part ... ery=piston
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V