petrol in my oil

Moderator: Moderators

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

probably a bit of rocker clack due to a lifter not pumping up

if hydraulic will have been filled with thrashed up petrol diluted oil in all its foamy goodness.

it will take a wee while to move the air on through.

or you have washed a nice slug of sludge in there

it too will take a while to work its way through

if it continues after a full operating temperature drive then i'd be a little more concerend

but then again all of mine do it for the first 15 hours of motoring so my recently accuired blase attitude to this kind of thing may not be a good example to be setting :)

if it drives alright and your oil pressure is good give it a week or to and see how ya go.

yes you can damage bearings and lifters by running when the oil knackered by petrol or past its sell by date but you have to try quite hard

decent pressure you'll be fine and 20W50 is the way unless you need something special for racing and then special racing 20W50 is probably the way...materials used and engine design dicatate this to a certain extent

my 6 does not like standard multigrade your bigger v8 won't either

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Give the motor a good caning to pump the lifters back up.

:thumbright:
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

If the noise is louder when you are "pushing it hard" it will be the exhaust manifold gasket blowing. People are always confusing the exhaust gasket with lifter noise.

If you rev the engine with the car parked don't expect the outer carbs to open. They only open under load when manifold vacuum is high.

If they need rebuilding and "setting up" that can be done off the car as long as they are still on the manifold. But tuning is different. Tuning is done on a running engine.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Kev wrote:Mechanical fuel pump diaphragm letting past??
My motor did this late 2007. I didn't find out until it was to late and my engine had eaten itself from the inside out. When I drained my oil mine too was like water and over 10 litres of oil/fuel cocktail was in there.
Kev

Post by Kev »

You can loosely put very thin cable ties or paper clips on the vacuum rods off the diaphragms then see if they have moved down the rod after a thrash to check your outboard carbies are opening.
When you drain the oil you might be able to skim off the petrol for re-use.........Oh! Irish, not Scottish, sorry! :D :thumbright:
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Kev

Post by Kev »

Or let the petrol evaporate and reuse the oil like some of the Methanol Dragster Tight Arses do................And we wonder why they oil the track...... ;)
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Pete

Post by Pete »

david340 wrote: ........ i was just wondering too,are the six pack carbs on my 340 motor in the challenger the same as the ones on the 440 on the roadrunner :read2:
I am sure Chrysler quote different part numbers.

With the Centre carb there are differences between manual and auto cars.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I must have missed that question. Basically the two six packs are the same. Just jetted differently.