68 Charger. Engine swap. THE END.

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

morgan

Post by morgan »

Throttle bracket ! Yes please please please ! ! !
PM hot on its way !
morgan

Post by morgan »

Fruitful day yesterday. Got lots done.
Wiring complete now (including electronic as far as the diagrams tell me...) and most of the bits that I need are on the way for the odds'n'sods.

This mornings gotcha. Can you see whats missing from this pic....?

Yep. Seems the only dipsick in the garage is the one holding the spanners. No dipstick on the engine. Looking at various pics is seems that on a BB it is drivers side near the front and sure enough I have a hole with a bolt in. Guess what ? SB and BB dipsticks are different. ARRGGhhhhH ! ! !
Please see the 'wanted' section for the latest in my demands for stuff. A week to go. Touch and go...

wanted - http://www.moparuk.com/forums/viewtopic ... 201#329201
challenger

Post by challenger »

good work mate but gota loose the plastic fuel fuel filter, lot of heat there and right next to the dizzy :thumbright:
keep it mopar !
Gringo

Post by Gringo »

Chromey dipstick from Moped Performance only costs about a tenner... :roll:
morgan

Post by morgan »

Good point ref filter. might move it down next to pump. Didnt think it would get too hot up there in the middle, but you might be right. :-k

Anyway, busy busy busy day. Ache everywhere. Couple of updates -
a) Solved header fouling problem. 1 x lump hammer.
b) Got Brakes mounted.
c) Got exhaust hung for first fit. Thats a good game too !

Anyway, couple of pics.
Anonymous

snowball

Post by Anonymous »

Good work Morgan keep at it mate n do you need the pipe flarer to get finished ?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Looking great Morgan well done , that engine bay looks pretty full now. :thumbright:

Good job on the exhausts , one thing to watch for are speed humps ripping the exhaust clamps off , i ended up turning my clamps 90* from where you have yours.

:thumbright:
morgan

Post by morgan »

Keith - Yes please mate - I will run over one evening an collect if thats OK with you. Will give you a call. Got to try and source the pipe first. Looking at the repro stuff it says 'mild steel or stainless steel'. I would have though copper/brass would do it - but hey - will try and find someone that sells the pipe...

Adam - Good tip - fear not, they are hanging loose in that shot. Will tuck them up before tightening. Trying not to weld initially - it all has to come down for cutouts at some point ! Will also give you a call to come and pick up Bobs throttle mount, assuming you are in the garage sometime this week.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Brief update. But a big one.

SHE RUNS ! ! ! :wav:

Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! ! ! Few gremlins (new fuel filter leaks - useless thing. Carb rails leak too - there is a little bolt I presume for a guage or something. Anyway the plug leaks). But enough doom and gloom. The point is, she fired and ran (albeit for about 30 secs)

So, gremlins to fix, exhaust to bolt up, hood back on, brakes to bleed etc etc and potentially its time for a test drive.

S H E R U N S ! ! ! ! WooHOO ! ! ! ! ! !
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Great stuff Morgan! :thumbright:

Harpenden here you come! 8-) .....watch the weather forecast tho... :(
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Good work Morgan. :thumbright: Oh, and it was nice to meet you at the Nats :)
All we are is rust in the wind
Gringo

Post by Gringo »

What a great feeling eh mate... :thumbright:
I ended up using ptfe tape on a fuel gauge plug to stop it leaking... :roll:
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

Gringo wrote:What a great feeling eh mate... :thumbright:
I ended up using ptfe tape on a fuel gauge plug to stop it leaking... :roll:
Nothing wrong with PTFE tape on fuel fittings.
morgan

Post by morgan »

Well - HEre it is. The final (on this thread) update.

Long long long story short. Late nights. Frustratins etc etc but at lunchtime today Charger went for its maiden voyage under new power. She passed her MOT, and this afternoon I went to a car show to test.

As usual, much to worry about. Every funny nosie, smell, creak etc etc send fear shooting through you - but the bottom line is she ran PERFECTLY. No funnies, no breakdowns, no nothing. My wiring works, the many many changes work.

Bit of fettling left (one breather, some wire tidys, a few scraped bits, lashed throttle bracket pending Bobs etc) but essentially that is it. The end of this thread.

I just wanted to say a big thankyou to all the advice and help I have received on this forum. Its easy to forget when you are experienced that the simplest thing can be really awkward to those of us learning - but someone on here always answers when I have a stupid one. I appreciate it very much. :thumbright:

Special mentions go to Blue (Gearbox is superb by the way), Dave and Keith who allowed me to plunder their parts and tools bins and believe me guys, I needed it.

So thats that. Heres a quick before and after pic for those who care. Nothing left to say except "Today I fulfilled an ambition an drove a 440 charger" WooHoo ! ! ! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Good stuff morgan , hope the engine will see many trouble free years. ;) :D

:thumbright: