Frame rail help

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Frame rail help

Post by Stu »

RHD car, yep, you guessed it...

Apparently it's a common thing that the frame rail flexes as the steering moves and cracks it. :roll:

Blue and Kev have both suggested that the Aussie's do a "fix it" kit for this? Any idea's, Gent's. Or better still, patterns? :D :thumbright:

:read2:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Minty

Post by Minty »

1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 -1006 Magnum 360 Rocket ship
1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 rolling shell under restoration -667
2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
Kev

Post by Kev »

There's a bloke round the corner who turned up a Val the other week, my boy spotted it on a trailer going past our house. Rocked up in the Falcon in just me skids to see if it was true. Yep! Yarned away and told him about the steering box thing. He had the repair section in the back of the car as part of the deal. Will see if he still has it unattached. Don't know how to do the measurements for ya, but a load of pics against a ruler would get you in the ball park.....
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I must be one of the lucky ones no cracks in mine I plated up Dave999 ausi frame rail just cut some 1/8 " plate and made them to fit sorry no pics but I am sure you can work it out Stu
John Rutledge
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Cut cardboard to the shape(s) you want. Then use the card to cut out some steel (any scrap steel that is not rusty) with your angle grinder. Weld it on. Job done. Nowt spent. :thumbright:
Minty

Post by Minty »

that,s all i done with mine ,10 years on still fine,dont know anyone thats used the purpose made job so cant comment on fitment,
1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 -1006 Magnum 360 Rocket ship
1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770 rolling shell under restoration -667
2002 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
Stu

Post by Stu »

Thank's Guys.

Kev, that would be magic! :thumbright: (Does anyone still say "Magic" these days? :oops: :D )

Dave, good idea, combined with Kev's ruler pics, that'll be the way forward. The hitch is.... Can't weld, no kit, no money for kit! :( :D

Minty, thank's for your help fella. :thumbright:

John, I think we've got away with it too, it just seems like tempting fate not to do it while it's accessible. :read2:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

if you take off the rusty bit

have a squizz inside to see if the cylinders inside to stop the bolt holes collapsing have collapsed

whack in a a new one if it has

they are supposed to have a zig zag of metal reinforcment in there on later cars as well

never seen it but cutting off the bottom of the rail allows an insertion if necessary

i was lucky...i just live up the road from Mr JohnRs work place

he kindly brung round a a chunk of machinery and his Mig

made a smashing job chopping off a lump and welding it into and across the gap and up the front mount

I sprayed it with about 95 layers of hammerite and its been top notch since.

my part in the whole carry on was purely destructive

I chopped a bit of the old rubbish out with a dremel a chissel and a hack saw left the hard work to a man who knows how to weld :)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

PS i too was a bit lost cos i can't weld "cheers john"

the sleave isn't great...it works best on cars with the first signs as it much thinner than the original metal

maybe now is the time to extend your K frame horns and attach an opel or vauxhall Rack :)

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Pete

Post by Pete »

Dave999 wrote: ...maybe now is the time to extend your K frame horns and attach an opel or vauxhall Rack :) Dave
Nah!!! Front beam axle and kingpins and "gasser" it :thumbright: :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Stu

Post by Stu »

Dave, Pete, outside the £10 budget I'm afraid! :(

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

If you are going to mess with old cars you need to learn to weld. It makes life SO much easier. You will find there are all kinds of repairs and fabrication that a welder makes possible and cheap.
Although I did a little semi-skilled welding in my late teens it was when I was in my late 20s when I signed up to a welding nightclass at a secondary school. Best thing I ever did. :thumbright:
aussie pete

Post by aussie pete »

Had to do this `fix` to mine also, i too made up some repair sections and welded them on as required, bear in mind that to do the job properly you need to remove the steering box, remove the `k` frame, the engine is best removed :( as it makes life a whole lot easier when grinding,cutting,welding,painting.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Dave, I totally agree and it's on my wishlist of things to do, but unfortunately neither funds nor time allows at the moment. :(

Pete, that's why it's probably on the cards to do it now, it's all out. :thumbright:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
Stu

Post by Stu »

Kev wrote:There's a bloke round the corner who turned up a Val the other week, my boy spotted it on a trailer going past our house. Rocked up in the Falcon in just me skids to see if it was true. Yep! Yarned away and told him about the steering box thing. He had the repair section in the back of the car as part of the deal. Will see if he still has it unattached. Don't know how to do the measurements for ya, but a load of pics against a ruler would get you in the ball park.....
Any joy, Kev? Not sure if you'll have had chance yet, but thought I'd bump it back up. :thumbright:

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435