Axle ID & service info needed

Moderator: Moderators

Matt

Axle ID & service info needed

Post by Matt »

Hi all,

I need to replace the LH rear wheel bearing on my 70 Coronet wagon (318ci) . I've looked at the axle , but I've only got a '69 workshop manual, and it doesn't seem to feature this type . The axle is the Dana style with the rear removable cover , & I think it's probably an 8.25 .

I need to pull the LH halfshaft, but there's no bearing retaining plate like an 8.75 , and no end-play adjuster on the RHS - in fact it looks like I would have to pull the whole brake backplate & remove it with the halfshaft & bearing- however I think it's more likely there's a halfshaft retaining clip inside the diff housing.

Has anybody got a 70-up workshop manual that covers the wheel bearing replacement procedure, and could they either describe it, or get scans or photocopies to me ??

Thanks in advance

Matt
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Is it not the 7.25" axle?
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Let me know if you need the rest of that section.
Matt

Post by Matt »

Hi Dave ,

thanks for the info - I was thinking maybe it was a 7.25 myself, then I thought - 'station wagon with V8 - maybe a bit small ??' . I don't think it's a 7.25 , as there are no bearing retainers visible on the brake backplates, and no access hole in the halfshaft flange. The backplates are bolted directly to the axle housing , with no other hardware attached by those nuts/ studs. The halfshaft appears to pass straight through & be retained as if by magic.

I looked at an A100 van manual yesterday, & the 8 & 3/8 axle design shown is such that the halfshafts pass straight through a non-taper roller bearing, & then locate in the diff where each halfshaft is retained by a big circlip-type thing. The whole thing looks very similar to what's on the car , so I'm going to pull the diff inspection cover & have a look.

A quick inspection of the tag decode shows that the car was meant to have a 8.75 / 2.76:1 anyway . I don't know why there's a different axle under there, especially as I removed a leaf spring a couple of years back , and those U-bolts hadn't been undone in decades. It's a mostly one family-owned car, with no sign of any mods .

If anyone knows about 1970 B-body broadcast sheets, the axle on mine is coded 096 - does that agree with the tag decode ?

Cheers,

Matt