flywheel cracking

Moderator: Moderators

paolo_mangusta

flywheel cracking

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Pulled the 318 out of my Dart this weekend and saw that despite the cover plate and friction disc looking good, the flywheel has lots of tiny cracking marks in the surface. I really don't like the idea of a flywheel coming apart near my feet, so was wondering if this is a safe thing to have skimmed off? My feeling is that I'm going to need another one, and that they're not common. Anyone got any suggestions? Would it be worth getting a lightweight steel one? I've always found that lightened flywheels do a lot to pep up an engine, but I've only got experience of this on fours, not V8s

This isn't going to hold me up too much as the replacement engine has a knackered block, :( (yes, I am stupid - didn't see the broken engine mount under the shiny paint - what a great weekend :evil: ) so I figure I might as well get the best thing, even if that means a long wait as it comes from the States.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

dont know about the flywheel but i have got some good 318 blocks if you need 1
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Cheers, my 318 block's ok - I was hoping to replace it with a 360. I might put my 318 back together and build the 360 over time (I've got another block that should be useable with some work) but it depends on how I get on with the flywheel. I'm just trying to come up with a plan based on getting the car out again this summer :?
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

yeah, i was thinking about that, it's just finding the money for a steel one. They seem to be about $300 and the shipping isn't going to be cheap (Hmm- I wonder if anyone needs a Dart GT gearbox...)

The cracks are very small, they literally look like they just sit on the surface, but as you say, I don't want it coming apart. It does depend on what I can get hold of though.

Still, if you're going to replace it, make it better, I reckon :)
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

Hmmm, yes, that's kind of what I figured if I'm getting a diaphragm type clutch to go with it :(

(off to find a hammer for that piggy bank...)