Investing in Metal.

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

Trigger_Andy

Investing in Metal.

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Anyone here invest in Precious Metals?

The more I read the more it seems to make sense as a wise investment to me. Over the last year or so Ive been buying Gold Bullion Coins but mostly Ive been getting into Silver as its dirt cheap and looks like its gonna rocket in the next few years.

http://goldsilver.com/new/silver-what-happens-when/

I love a bit of conspiracy I do! :D

So far Ive taken £10,000 outta my shares and put it into Gold and Silver I seriously thinking of taking more out but I dont wanna keep all of my eggs in one basket. But all of my spare money each month will buy more. The main thing that Bananarama! me off is that we pay 20% tax on Silver but nothing on Gold, Germany only pays 7% on Silver. Anyone in Germany willing to receive coins for me and post them on? :D
I'm here because Im not all there!!

Save the tree's.........Burn Rubber!!
jerry

Post by jerry »

Silver is dirt cheap here in Mexico, bought some stuff for my daughter from the local Silver mine, gifts mind you, not investments
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

We run a plumbing and heating merchants chain in Bucks and Beds. Copper tubing , cylinders, fittings and lead flashing have gone up by nearly a third in the last year, can barely keep up with the increases. Amazingly it never stops selling, no matter how high it goes.
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Charger

Post by Charger »

houses round by us have wooden canopies covered in lead over the front door, following a visit from the local pikeys they now just have wooden canopies over the front door :roll:
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
Jon

Post by Jon »

I've bought a bit, my brother doubled his money in a couple of months buying leveraged silver ETFs...but thats a bit more risky and short term and I'm in no way recommending it (so dont come running to me if you try it and lose money :lol: )
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

I know/knew a bloke who has no pension as such

but he does......if you catch me drift

he has a contact in the US,

he pays some money
a small ingot of gold is cast
it is sent to the UK using a legitimate but what i think is possibly a slightly dodgy method, he never explained properly the ins and outs of tax on metals and luxury items
and he puts it away for a rainy day

none of it is stock piled in the same place
some of it involves travel to get it (ref to andys eggs in one basket)

if gold price is a bit rubbish he buys
if gold is good he may sell and wait and buy some more or invest in silver instead.

he has been doing this since he was 18 and he's now 39
certain periods have allowewd him to double his money
he doesn't bother selling if he isn't making 15%

his attitude is that the major banks are/were originally backed by gold reserves
if the money is worth squat the gold still will be

sometimes what he has purchased never leaves the place where it sat before he purchased it and then sells it again..
other stuff just turns up in DHL packages

but he won't talk about it anymore

however always has a flash suit and motor so things must be ok

No i don't know where he lives and i don't work with him any more

its like playing the stock market but shiny

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

Gold and Silver are good potentially investments

Rule of thumb is that Silver per weight is usually 1/16th of gold, it has been this way as an average through thick, thin and war over the years

Silver is something like 1/28th the current price of gold, so the theory will be that silver will rise to 1/16th of gold. You do the maths but silver is likely to catch up with gold and gold will probably keep climbing in price.

Also the legitimate gold mines run a bit of a cartel like OPEC and the price of oil. Production and price keeps up with demand/price.

Maybe worth a punt

J
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

I guess it is a bit like playing the Stock market but with something you actually own and have in hand. When the Zombie Apocalypse finally arrives or the £ and $ hit the wall I think it will be best to have something physical to trade with other than a bit of paper.

What I read a few days ago;

There's mean to be 31,000 tonnes to 15,000 tonnes silver above ground.

There is thought to have been 140,000 tonnes gold mined in the history as we are told. That isn't chucked away, unlike silver.

Silver has be depleted over the last 60 years and thrown away in landfill, because it's too cheap to recycle effectively and is contained in many products.

Silver reserves below the ground don't amount to too much either, so no one is going to magic loads up any time soon.

Demand for silver is increasing massively in new products eg clothing which will put demand up 1000 tonnes per year.

Check the chart for Gold out. I wish I had bought then. :roll:
Attachments
gold_5_year_o_usd.png
gold_5_year_o_usd.png (14.15 KiB) Viewed 1233 times

Trigger_Andy

Post by Trigger_Andy »

Actually Gold is at about £880 an ounce and Silver is £20. So its 44-1. Like you said historically the ration has been 16-1, roughly the same ratio of whats being mined. If currencies go back to being backed by Gold, then expect the price to return to the 16-1 ratio!

Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

Andy is right about the ratio. Never was good at maffmatics
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Trigger_Andy wrote:I guess it is a bit like playing the Stock market but with something you actually own and have in hand. When the Zombie Apocalypse finally arrives or the £ and $ hit the wall I think it will be best to have something physical to trade with other than a bit of paper.
Come the Zombie Apocalypse I think the best type of metal to have handy will be the sort that makes good bullets! :violent3: Do silver bullets work on Zombies?
Kev

Post by Kev »

Do silver bullets work on Zombies?
Only if you pop the cap in it's brain and lead/copper works just as well for that. Save your silver for buying blackmarket.......

Zombie Werewolfs are an unknown factor though......
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
TYREMAN

Post by TYREMAN »

That's great but will it make you happy? i think the most important thing to invest in is people and relationships..time is worth more to some than any money or Gold,you can not for example buy back lost time with Kids loved ones etc and you can not take the money with you ;)

Money can not buy Respect,Honor,true love, to name a few things.

:hippy2:

So people sell your cars and give up the Hobby...and make time for people you care about! you know deep down it is the correct thing to do ;) :D
Prothed

Post by Prothed »

How do you sell physical gold for it's true value?
You can buy fake gold openly on ebay, so presumably if you are buying a lump of gold you have to have it assayed before you buy - and again when someone else buys it from you?
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Dave, you buy from a proper dealer / gold broker. Never by from ebay or a jeweler. Its a very well organised industry. Speculation on gold is very common. Countries do it, and it is why it is always wise for a Country to have a gold reserve as its price never fluctuates like currency and isnt affected by RPI. I have a few bits tucked away ;)