Importing

Mopar related chat and bench racing

Moderator: Moderators

autofetish

Importing

Post by autofetish »

I'm looking at importing a 68 charger from the US i have had a couple of quotes from shippers and have spoke with DEAN @ www.skippysclassicimports.co.uk i will spend around $10,000 on the car.

whats shippers would you recommend any advice would be great

I believe the car must have a US title
i have to pay Shipping Insurance VAT and Import Duty i get a MOT then i can get a V5. (Cant be this easy can it ???)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Imorex are good. Used em a few times.

Yes, make sure the car has title. Irrespective of whatever you get told, if the car has title it alleviates LOTS of hassle - believe me.

When it gets over here you will pay VAT and Duty etc. before you can have the car and you will get a doc off Customs saying it is clear. Take that doc, and the MOT etc. etc. to your local DVLA office. It is easy but if there is anything missing or out of place the DVLA will F... you off out of it as soon as look at you. Very strict. (were with me anyhow). :thumbright:
TyreFryer

Post by TyreFryer »

Only problem I had was that to get the car MOT'd I had to insure it on the VIN, it failed the MOT and I was told by the insurance company that if I didn't provide them with a UK registration number within a certain amount of time they would cancel the policy and I wouldn't get any money back.

I did get it done in time but if you're waiting for parts from the USA it could be a problem. Check with the insurance company if you need to insure it to drive it to the MOT.

Are you importing it to the UK then? I thought you were in Germany Wil?
Martin Walker
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Thanks guys great advise.
I do live in german but run all my car on uk plates. :)

Also Germany MOT (TÜV) is a F+#§ing night mare.
guy whitwam

Post by guy whitwam »

Hi,just imported a car which I picked up 2 weeks ago from Felixstowe docks all handled by Hill Shipping (01795 876000) speak with Jamie.
Found them v.helpful and knowledgeable as regard duties and customs issues.They sorted out the BTI for me as well ,so no import duty and only 5% vat ,a huge saving!!
Unfortunatley still waiting on HMC to sort out the paperwork so I can go and tax the car,government offices where the wheels turn slow.
Clivey absolutley spot on with the title though,had a slight issue with mine which had to be sorted before the shippers would release the car.
If you need any further help pm your number and would be happy to talk you though any issues you may have.
Best wishes
GUY
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

guy whitwam wrote:Hi,just imported a car which I picked up 2 weeks ago from Felixstowe docks all handled by Hill Shipping (01795 876000) speak with Jamie.
Found them v.helpful and knowledgeable as regard duties and customs issues.They sorted out the BTI for me as well ,so no import duty and only 5% vat ,a huge saving!!
Unfortunatley still waiting on HMC to sort out the paperwork so I can go and tax the car,government offices where the wheels turn slow.
Clivey absolutley spot on with the title though,had a slight issue with mine which had to be sorted before the shippers would release the car.
If you need any further help pm your number and would be happy to talk you though any issues you may have.
Best wishes
GUY
must be a rare car then guy.............
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
guy whitwam

Post by guy whitwam »

Done some homework as had to prove the rarity of the car,only 2,322 ever made,so yes I guess it is :thumbright:
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

They sorted out the BTI for me as well [/quote]

Silly Question Whats BTI ?
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

TyreFryer wrote:Only problem I had was that to get the car MOT'd I had to insure it on the VIN, it failed the MOT and I was told by the insurance company that if I didn't provide them with a UK registration number within a certain amount of time they would cancel the policy and I wouldn't get any money back.

I did get it done in time but if you're waiting for parts from the USA it could be a problem. Check with the insurance company if you need to insure it to drive it to the MOT.

Are you importing it to the UK then? I thought you were in Germany Wil?

What plates do you drive to the MOT on ??
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Binding Tariff Information (BTI) system as a tool to assist economic operators to obtain the correct tariff classification for goods they intend to import or export. You can get BTI Exemption in certain circumstances, listed and explained on the net.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You go to the MOT station on your US plates. The car is MOT'd and Insured on the VIN number. You have a set amount of time to get the vehicle registered.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

So just found out if its older that 30 years and is in original condition (not modified) you don't have to pay import duty.

:thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
There is a god
74challenger318

Post by 74challenger318 »

guy whitwam wrote:.They sorted out the BTI for me as well ,so no import duty and only 5% vat ,a huge saving!!

Ron just imported a car for me asked him about the vat and duty thing on classic rare cars, he said they had dropped that now :( ,

they only made 1163 of these in 1958 and only a dozen or so known to exist.

Paul.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Its changed. Before, the cut off was if the vehicle was made after 1971. Now it has to be rare and/or of significant historical importance. It can still be wangled, buit dont bank on it mate. Have the cash handy for it justr in case. Budget for full VAT and duty. You get BTI, bonus. If not, you were ready for it.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Vat :(