Old School BMX

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

TYREMAN

Old School BMX

Post by TYREMAN »

I came across this on youtube RAD and it brought back some memory's of cuts and Bruises trying to do tricks and stuntz as a young teenager. :D

I could not do any tricks so soon gave up! :x :)

autofetish

Post by autofetish »

This video is not available in your country.
Sorry about that. :(
morgan

Post by morgan »

Ah BMX. those were the days. Best thing I ever had as a kid. The stunts and jumps we used to do - doesnt bear thinking about. Cant wait to teach my boy :)
The only thing I can still do is ride backwards and 'rock walks'. Mind you, last time I tried to do a 180 bunnyhop on a mountain bike I folded the wheel in half. They dont make em like they used to etc - or I got old and fat...
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Oh yea I remember those too!

I had one that had a shock on the lower part of the frame, and I ended up breaking the frame ,I went through several goosnecks ,bending, breaking them,
they also had "motomags" cool mag wheels for a bike, and now they are made of rubber/urethayne,the best frame I had was a Redline I never broke that,

but the end is I rode that bike to long and as my body grew it was really hard on my knees and now I am paying for it :cry:
Jules

Post by Jules »

Gees. I remember those days. :shock:
My BMX always seemed as heavy as hell compared to the light professional frames.
There was a lad near where I grew up, was well wicked on a BMX.
He was very good at the jumps and 180's etc. :thumbright:
I remember always wanting a pair of the mag wheels for mine too.
Ahh memories :lol:
Of All The Senses, The Common One Is The Most Rare !!

MMA/750
Jon Connolly

Post by Jon Connolly »

Here`s a question for all you BMX ers

When I was a kid and these were coming out ( I am thinking 1982 / 83 )

My mate had one; blue frame with yellow mag wheels. He told me if you hit the wheel and bent it a bit you could put the wheel in the freezer overnight and it would straighten the wheel.

Am I a childhood victim of b/s ?

Or is it true ??

:read2:
9.844 @ 134.04 ... Smallblock Valiant + NOS

10.169 @ 130.17 ... Smallblock Dodge Ram pick up truck - motor only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvwC1fd0 ... 8Z96U8t0LQ
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Jon Connolly wrote:Here`s a question for all you BMX ers

When I was a kid and these were coming out ( I am thinking 1982 / 83 )

My mate had one; blue frame with yellow mag wheels. He told me if you hit the wheel and bent it a bit you could put the wheel in the freezer overnight and it would straighten the wheel.

Am I a childhood victim of b/s ?

Or is it true ??
I f you are talking about those rubber/nylon/urethane wheels those were very hard to bend, I remember my buddie he had em , and he was so big on the bike the wheels flexed while he rode down the road, we could see him coming and those wheels were bouncing up and down,so as far as bending them they had a memory to them and I never saw one bend or break,I do like the freezer idea just for kicks

:read2:
:thumbright:
morgan

Post by morgan »

The bike you describe was likely a raleigh tuff burner - blue frame and 5 spoke skyway-tuff wheels. ( later models may have had 7 spoke mag wheels, but these were less cool).
The legend was that the wheels iif buckled could be put in the freezer. Never knew anyone who did though. But then I never knew anyone who buckled one - they are plastic after all...
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
Kev

Post by Kev »

That would be a sizeable freezer....
<center>
The name is Kev, nowadays known as Kevvy or Pommie C***!</center>
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

morgan wrote:The bike you describe was likely a raleigh tuff burner - blue frame and 5 spoke skyway-tuff wheels. ( later models may have had 7 spoke mag wheels, but these were less cool).
The legend was that the wheels iif buckled could be put in the freezer. Never knew anyone who did though. But then I never knew anyone who buckled one - they are plastic after all...
were all bmx wheel;s plastic.. the mag type i mean or were some ally..
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Cannonball wrote:
morgan wrote:The bike you describe was likely a raleigh tuff burner - blue frame and 5 spoke skyway-tuff wheels. ( later models may have had 7 spoke mag wheels, but these were less cool).
were all bmx wheel;s plastic.. the mag type i mean or were some ally..
Mine were magnesium ,Now you guys refreshed my memory the tuff wheels(I couldnt remember the name) were plastic, and the mag. wheels were called moto mags :thumbright:
TYREMAN

Post by TYREMAN »

ME or my parents could never afford a BMX :( however i managed to aquire a wreck of a bike from a Police sale of unclaimed stolen items.

The frame was good and my Dad and i manged to find various other bits to build a bike,i got to choose the color so i piked Ford Arizona Gold 8-)and my Dad painted it. the Handle bars were painted Matt Black, over time i bought various New bits like a Saddle ,Headstock, Pedals,Pads,Mushroom grips Two finger Brakes etc.The wheels were tough and they had Drum brakes that made it cool like a motorbike

When it was finished all my mates wanted it as it was a one off! probably the cheapest bike out of the Lot at School but the coolest.That was my first taste of owning something special.

MY mate had a cool BMX something like a Mongoose? it felt weird as it had no brakes but you could stop it by pedaling backwards.That was weird riding in reverse :D
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I was hooning around in a 318 Oz Charger when they came out. You bloody kids. :lol: