Dave Robsons Challenger R/T

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I couldn't believe how many American cars are advertised for sale in that German mag. :shock:
Including lots of Mopars.
Prices are mostly (but not always) on the high side for the UK. However there is a lot of quality stuff.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Loads of stuff out here. But they only want original cars with no mods.

As due to the MOT laws car must be standard.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

autofetish wrote:Loads of stuff out here. But they only want original cars with no mods.

As due to the MOT laws car must be standard.
That was what most of the ads were for I noticed.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Dave wrote:
babyelephant wrote:Nice pair ... in Germany. Did you line it up with the Vette for a similar photo before gone? 8-)
No. It would have made the Vette look like crap. ;)
Fantastic! =P~

Looks like a lot of time, effort and money went into that car! :thumbright:

Now your selling the Vette.........do you wish you still owned it??

Or, was it time to move on to a new project and no regrets?

I find it interesting, as the more i work on a car the more i get attached to it. If i push my car to that kind of quality i'm not sure i could let it go!
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Dave81 wrote:Looks like a lot of time, effort and money went into that car! :thumbright:
22 years work and about £15K on top of the purchase price which works out at around £1K per year if you want to look at it is a way that does not keep you awake at night. Of course there were times were it stood for years at a time with nothing being spent on it due to lack of funds.
The Vette or the Challenger?
Well I am glad I had the chance to own what is really an affordable supercar in the Vette. These modern ones really do drive very well. If a little harsh on bad road surfaces. It was nice to have one for a while and I wouldn't mind keeping it if I could afford two cars. Which I can't because in reality I have never been in a position to afford even one car like this.

The Challenger I miss every day. It was like giving up a child.
I find it interesting, as the more i work on a car the more i get attached to it. If i push my car to that kind of quality i'm not sure i could let it go!
Which is how it was for me.
It was a hard decision to make as I know I will never afford a car as good as that again. Or one that would hold it's value either.

Every car I own from now on will probably make a loss when I sell it. Eventually it really will be a Plastic Pig I drive. :lol:

Meanwhile, I intend to own one or two interesting cars over the next 8-10 years.
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Thats it after your last reply Dave,
Made me think very hard.
Im never selling the Cuda...even though i have been asked quite a few times recently, and considered it.

Any other cars will have to come second to the Cuda and just wait their time..hence the Fury A/FX is taking so long :( ...with 4 kids and now a grand child :shock:
plus 2 everyday cars, just living and doing fun stuff with the kids takes a big toll on the wallet

But the Cuda is mine forever :D
I hope.
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
TYREMAN

Post by TYREMAN »

AllKiller wrote: plus 2 everyday cars, just living and doing fun stuff with the kids takes a big toll on the wallet
YEs but well worth it :thumbright: more important than the cars.Good on you 8-)

Just don't let them take the P when they get older :D
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Dave wrote:
Dave81 wrote:Looks like a lot of time, effort and money went into that car! :thumbright:
22 years work and about £15K on top of the purchase price which works out at around £1K per year if you want to look at it is a way that does not keep you awake at night. Of course there were times were it stood for years at a time with nothing being spent on it due to lack of funds.
The Vette or the Challenger?
Well I am glad I had the chance to own what is really an affordable supercar in the Vette. These modern ones really do drive very well. If a little harsh on bad road surfaces. It was nice to have one for a while and I wouldn't mind keeping it if I could afford two cars. Which I can't because in reality I have never been in a position to afford even one car like this.

The Challenger I miss every day. It was like giving up a child.
Which is how it was for me.
It was a hard decision to make as I know I will never afford a car as good as that again. Or one that would hold it's value either.

Every car I own from now on will probably make a loss when I sell it. Eventually it really will be a Plastic Pig I drive. :lol:

Meanwhile, I intend to own one or two interesting cars over the next 8-10 years.
Good reply and insight Dave! :thumbright:

Yep i was refering to the challenger, when you break it down as roughly £1k a year, that seems like fantastic value for what you had!

Can't argue with the Vette either TBH. For the cost of purchase, running costs, BHP and what you get, there is nothing else really within the same price bracket!!

Looking forward to your next toy/project thread!! 8-)
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I did make £10K profit on the Challenger in the end so it was not all bad. :D

Although I did have £15K on a credit card to pay off so that went pretty quick. :( :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Never got that attached to mine despite all the history. I'll miss it when its gone but considering I have done about two trips and 50 miles in it this year, I aint gonna miss it that much. I'm going back to Japanese next time.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Any one new to the MMA amazing build :thumbright:
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
Stu
Location: Shropshire, home of the worlds smallest big screen TV

Re: Dave Robsons Challenger R/T

Post by Stu »

I’m bumping this to the top, as I’m fed up of trying to remember what page it’s on, or search for it. :D :read2:
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not…

70 Challenger
MMA/489
NSS/435
rocket70

Post by rocket70 »

Started reading through this last night...Great read.

If only you could get a set of Dougs headers delivered to your door nowadays for £400
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Bloody hell.

This brings back memories. :D

It's kind of creepy seeing how much work I was able to do on this car during 2007 considering 50% of my brain was out of action for most of that year.

I think I was 6 months into the next year before my brain got as functional as it was going to get.

I can't remember a lot of it.

Took me weeks to learn to walk more than a few feet at a time. But I could walk into my garage.
My tunnel vision took two years to resolve completely. I still knew how to drive in theory but I had to concentrate like a learner. I had no "muscle memory" of how to drive. That took a couple of years to come back too.

I know the re-wiring I did was very untidy under the dash and as the car got closer to finishing I found I had made some very odd mistakes in places at an earlier stage that with a more working brain I was able to put right.

In the end my build was far from perfect. With hindsight I would have done a few things different. But not a lot.

It was my life's ambition to build a car like this. In the end it would run consistent 12.2s all day long. Drove and cornered amazingly. Had two magazine features.

But I had to be VERY selfish to do this. I had never been a big earner. This was all very much a bigger budget over many years than I could really afford. I just did everything I could to get there. Not matter what or who I hurt.

But got there. Did that. I would never do it again.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I think what you achieved under those circumstances was really amazing and a credit to you.

All the best.

Pete & Julie.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God