Engine Identification - vibration damper

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Engine Identification - vibration damper

Post by Anonymous »

I want to fit a new vibration damper to a 318. I do not know the exact year of manufacture and I was wondering whether this would matter. ie. does one damper fit both early (1968-71) and late(1972-75) engines. I do have an engine number but I can't decode it - the number is
3 1 318 03210033. Is there anyone out there who can help?

Thanks Terry
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

according to all my books the same damper was used from1967 -1991 mopar part no P4452816
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Thanks for the input Trev. In the one book that I've got it says that the
"Model years 64-71 use offset bolt pattern to retrain damper pulley. Model years 72-86 use a symmetrical bolt pattern to retain damper pulley"
The one that is on the engine at the moment has a symmetrical pattern so I am assuming that the engine was made after 1972. I suppose I am just going to have to replace it with one meant for a early seventies engine (72/3/4) and hope it works.
Terry
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

I have done some more research :-
Summit catalogug lists 3 dampers ( from difererent manufacturers) for your engine no mention of a change in years.
PAW catalogue list 4 dampers , the only one that lists a change is FLUIDAMPER is saus 318,340,360cid "A/la"int.bal. 6-bolt evenly spaced pulley bolt pattern. possible pully misalignment on some years.
so it apears thare is a diference but no other manufacturer recognises it. if you have evenly spaced bolts it looks like that is the more comon option.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Terry,
I.ve got a good one (came from aAex) ?35 +p+P if you need it.
Miles
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Came from Alex actually!