I can't get no satis-traction

Moderator: Moderators

Adrian Worman

I can't get no satis-traction

Post by Adrian Worman »

I took me Chally out in the sun for a wee spin and thought I should take the opportunity to tread on it a bit and see how good the bespoke Bacca sure grip is....................no traction in first, expected that, but no traction all thru second, really thought it would hook up but just one long controllable rolling burnout :D
I tried rolling along in second about thirty or forty and then stepping on it and even then as soon as the secondaries open and it gets on the cam the back end steps to one side and it just burns, even with 3.23 gears.

Now as funny and impressive from an idiots point of view, which I frequently aspire to, i'd like some traction.
The rear tyres are not big, only 235's on 7" Magnums, but are a modern tyre, no rock hard Cooper rubbish. I was chatting to John S at the swappy and he'd got a pair of MT street radials, I thought about using them, how much tyre are you blokes using to get the power down? :thumbright:
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

not really a bad problem to have :evil4: those M/T STREET radials seem work for some folks, but not sure how long they last :scratch:
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

I think I'd trade better traction and hopefully better handling for some tyre life................I'm used to replacing the super sticky rear covers on me sports bikes before I get to a thousand miles.
Have you seen the Toyo radials made spesh for modern muscle?
What do you have on those big rims Drew?
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Mick70RR

Post by Mick70RR »

I use Bridgestone 275/60R15 tyres. I tried all the drag radials, Nitto's, BFG and MT ET's but was only getting 2000 miles out of them on the street and they were costing £500 a pair. Ran my best time on the Bridgestones, got about 3000 miles on them and they're hardly worn. Best of all, they cost me £60 each.
1970 Road Runner, 505CI, 4 speed, GV overdrive, 3.91 gears.
11.98 @ 117mph on street tyres
John

Re: I can't get no satis-traction

Post by John »

Adrian Worman wrote: I was chatting to John S at the swappy and he'd got a pair of MT street radials, I thought about using them, how much tyre are you blokes using to get the power down? :thumbright:
Hey Ade their sold I`m afraid bud ;) but were bloody brilliant in my book I know I didnt do that many miles but they still had 4 mm left and I had them on over a year. Was obviosly too soft on em Mick lol :thumbright:
Lifes Too Fast But The Car`s Not, It even managed to miss the boat twice.
Now passed customs.
Now on route.
Now in posession.
Now costing me sh*t loads.
jerry

Post by jerry »

Thats interesting Mick was looking at MT's Hoosiers etc the other day but those seem a much more sensible option thanks.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

:GimmePics!:

Well Videos anyway........ :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

jerry wrote:Thats interesting Mick was looking at Aircraft carrier tyres the other day but those seem a much more sensible option thanks.
Soon be rolling ;)
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
jerry

Post by jerry »

Was either tyres or new steam catapult :roll: :D
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Weight balance and transfer.
GTXJim

Post by GTXJim »

I have 315 60 15 MT street radials on the Dodge, and they are great, did have some big cheep rubber on before but and was almost undrivable I'm very happy :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Petrol is for washing parts, Alcohol is for drinking, Nitro is for racing!!!

Hell Yeah!! I'm a Redneck
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Dave wrote:Weight balance and transfer.
I know Daveman, hard spring rate, lower than normal ride height, stiff shocks................none of that's in the recipe for drag racing.

A trunk mounted battery is next, along with more weight off the front end, aiming for 250lbs.
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Dave81 wrote::GimmePics!:

Well Videos anyway........ :thumbright:
No, I ain't gonna hang out the side window and video the tyres breaking loose, that'd be stupid................ginge probably do it tho ;)
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I managed an almost 50/50 weight balance on my 440 mate and that was with a steel hood!
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Adrian Worman wrote:I think I'd trade better traction and hopefully better handling for some tyre life................I'm used to replacing the super sticky rear covers on me sports bikes before I get to a thousand miles.
Have you seen the Toyo radials made spesh for modern muscle?
What do you have on those big rims Drew?
I am running a 275 40 17 Falkin radial all the way around, decent tire not good for drags but great for the road course :thumbright: