Dave's 72 Dart

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi Sam, where you been hiding mate?? Or havi I just missed your posts.... Seems like ages since youve been on! Enjoyin Daves thread.... New dashpad yet Dave??? :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
V8 Sam

Post by V8 Sam »

Hey mate! I'm still about, just been busy over Christmas and what with having no laptop it's hard work on my iPhone all the time!
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Steve wrote:New dashpad yet Dave??? :thumbright:
Not at the mo Steve. Deep in discussion with Mr Watts about dashpad and other parts. May as well make it a bulk order! :D

Also done my back, so doubt any work will go on for a bit! :evil:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

V8 Sam wrote:Hey mate! I'm still about, just been busy over Christmas and what with having no laptop it's hard work on my iPhone all the time!
No excuse Sam !!!
All I use is my iPhone !!!!
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Well over a year since i've done anything productive to the Dart..........The wife gave me a pass today as she wanted to go shoping with friends, and as it was dry and warmish, i thought i'd get started on the car!!

So this is the OTR 2014 (on the road), stage. I just want to get it legally roadworthy so i can drive it and hopefully make its NATS debut.

Major Upgrades, Paint or power will come at the end of the year/future.

I've got an MOT fail/advisory list to work through, some leaks, plus a few other things that bug me before i take the leap and get it retested.

One of the major ones (that funnily enough was missed on the MOT) was the fact that the High Pressure Return Hose on the Power steering had started to leak. Major issue being that when driving home from the MOT fail, as i pulled onto the drive the engine was billowing white smoke. The leak under pressure turned into a fine mist spray directly onto the stock manifolds...... :shock: Almost toasted the car!!! :help:

So that was todays work. Plus the battery tray was toast......May as well change that. The Electronic ignition at one point has melted the dielectric grease and caused runs down the inner fender.....May as well sort that too. Got a new shiney starter relay, may as well put that on too. So one job turned into 4.

Start......

Tray removed and hose removed (soaked it in Gibbs/WD40 over the last three nights and it worked a treat). At this point noticed the surface rust......Another job!!!! Can also reccomend the halfords mini magnetic LED torch......Crackin little thing that helps in those dark small places:

New hose on......much better fit than the original (shorter metal fixings):

About and hour with the drill, wire wheels and brushes. Removed the majority of the surface rust.....the grease was a PITA to remove as it warms and spreads.......Primered:

All the paint work i'm doing is just rust provention/protection. So matt black in a blue bay looks cack, but as i'm yet to choose my final car colour and will be having it proffesionally done in the future it will do for now. The majority of the black is hidden by the tray anyway.

Also added the new Starter Relay, cleaned all connections and fitted:

Then ran out of time with the family returning home........I've also got a pass untill 11:30 tomorrow. :woohoo:
So will try to get the car started and the PS system bled.......may even try and get a video! :thumbright:
72 Dodge Dart

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

wow you did something

great stuff really looking forward to this build :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Nice one Dave.
Bet it feels good to have a tinker ?
Look forward to the start up vid ;)
:thumbright:
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

this
Attachments
hood.jpg
hood.jpg (4.55 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

autofetish wrote:this
Want one. We're do you get them from Will ?
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Ta :thumbright:
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
MattH

Post by MattH »

Looking great Dave, a familiar view for me lately! My relay was full of brown dust so put a Triumph one on.
I would like to know how you bleed the P/S as I need to do that too.

Also did one of your hoses have a spring inside it at the P/S end? (not the pump end)
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
DaveBishop

Post by DaveBishop »

Matt power steering self bleeds
2 x 1969 Dodge Darts
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

MattH wrote:Looking great Dave, a familiar view for me lately! My relay was full of brown dust so put a Triumph one on.
I would like to know how you bleed the P/S as I need to do that too.

Also did one of your hoses have a spring inside it at the P/S end? (not the pump end)
Hey Matt, Dave Bishop is quite right it does........bad use of wording by me. Should of said purge!

As i'd not completely drained the PS system it was only the air in the new pipeline that i needed to purge out. Process is the same whichever way you do it.

Easy as this...............Start the car and turn the wheel lock to lock a dozen or so times!!

Mine was almost instantaneous this time, but i did a complete drain of my old Capri.
You will/should notice that when you first start the steering is quite heavy, almost unassisted. As the air is squeezed and replaced by fluid if should start to feel more and more assisted as you go/turn lock to lock. Once the improvement stops its purged......just drive!!!!! :thumbright:
72 Dodge Dart

Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Managed to get out this morning and finish of the weekends work. One of the little bugs was the positive side battery cable clamp.

It looked like it had gone twelve rounds between a hammer and an anvil. Had a spare one i bought years ago so cut the old clamp off.

Re cut some of the wires for fresh copper, used shrink wraps and additional cable ties on top to neaten it all up.

Dropped in the new battery i'd bought, primed and started.

Good to hear the engine running........................ :D

Its been the same since i bought it but i'm sure the passenger side manifold gasket is blowing (carbon granules in the engine bay and tappety noises). Also feel that underuse over the last 2 years is taking its toll on other gaskets, so may as well pick some up and redo to see if i can get just V8 noise!!

Also noticed that either the fan or PS is for one of a better word......farting with rotation. Not sure if this is under lubrication due to prolonged sitting or possibly bearing noise........Welcome your suggestions as you can hear it.........

Excuse the use of camera phone (not great sound capture)........But as promised yesterday:

:thumbright:
72 Dodge Dart