Dave's 72 Dart

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Dave. I was thinking the 70's flower thing when I replied. I'm not nasty like Will ! :D

Where's the pics then ? :shock:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Steve

Post by Steve »

Really pleased to see you working on the old girl Dave....all these jobs mount up and you will see it coming together quicker than you think. Even if you only manage an hour or two in the evenings.

Wheels and tyres look fantastic....keep up the good work (and the pics please)

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Thanks chaps.

One step forward two back. All my own bloody fault too!!! :roll:

Got all the wheels on and not one was spinning true and straight (wheel wobble).
Decided the high grade plastic spigot rings were at fault. Why the hell I didn't do this on the first wheel i'll never know....but I just wanted the wheels on and went all gung ho!!!

Took the freshly mounted one off the front passenger side and mounted the wheel again minus spigot ring. Perfect. I should have left it at that for the night!!

So decide to mod one of the rings to take off the lip (30 mins gone) and have it sit inside the wheel and see if that cures the problem.

Take the driver side wheel off remove stock ring and put modded in its place tighten up and see what it looks like. One of the nuts is tight......gone and cross threaded the Bananarama!!! Wheel still aint right either, still wobbling.......:banghead:

So off it comes again but with added hernia inducing removal.

Inside of nut is bodged. Luckily I think the nuts like most are made with a sacrificial grade of metal so shouldn't be an issue...... Luckily I bought 21 of these as I knew I'd Bananarama! up at some point!!

Removed SR and put the wheel on again. Tighten them all but this nut is still not going............. :help: Think I fubard the last bit of the thread on the nut on the wheel!
Finally managed to persuade it on as it went through easy and tuff stages.

So a 30 min job took at 7pm took 2.5hrs and Bananarama! me off chronically. Also the four of the nuts on that side have been on and off 3 times so the lovely chrome plating is mashed. £15 wasted, and makes the new wheels look cack!

Bought another 5 today as they are specific to these era of Wolfrace wheel!
More Bananarama! off at myself than anything........... :wack:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Dave, don't feel so bad. Most of us screw up, we just don't publish the fact :lol:
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

MilesnMiles wrote:Dave, don't feel so bad. Most of us screw up, we just don't publish the fact :lol:
:lol: Too late now!!! :oops:
72 Dodge Dart

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Steve

Post by Steve »

At least your mate didnt tell the world that his bead roller kicked you in the nuts over the weekend..... :roll:

I just calculate how long a job should take then treble it and its about right.....give ir take an hour or so :D
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

what kind of mou nting do your wheel nuts have

flat nut flat washer
profiled nut
or shank into the wheel with a profiled ledge down the hole

the latter 2 are centred already by the Nuts

do you have acorn nuts large duplex acorn, shank etc etc etc

and
http://www.raceways.co.uk/Wheel_Nuts_an ... _Guide.htm

so you can get rid of the rings

your wheel is held on by the friction of its centre being clamped to the hub

none of the cars weight should be resting againts the hub/axle centre unless you have loose nuts

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

MilesnMiles wrote:Dave, don't feel so bad. Most of us screw up, we just don't publish the fact :lol:

yep :thumbright:
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Dave999 wrote:what kind of mou nting do your wheel nuts have

flat nut flat washer
profiled nut
or shank into the wheel with a profiled ledge down the hole

the latter 2 are centred already by the Nuts

do you have acorn nuts large duplex acorn, shank etc etc etc

and
http://www.raceways.co.uk/Wheel_Nuts_an ... _Guide.htm

so you can get rid of the rings

your wheel is held on by the friction of its centre being clamped to the hub

none of the cars weight should be resting againts the hub/axle centre unless you have loose nuts

Dave
Dave

The Slots have a recess with a 30 deg angle on them that require a washer. The acorn stye nuts (which i bought before hand) are 60 deg and i didnt like the fact the mating face had very little contact, same with the original open nuts.

So i had to get these.....
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/390174776651? ... 1497.l2649

The sleeve goes through the washer and into the bolt hole on the wheel. I've measured the depth with the nut fully in and its circa 1mm from the mating face of the wheel for the hub

These finish the look off and have the best thread depth/grab of all the nuts i've put on any car, so happy with them. Not sure how i managed to cross thread it, as you say it should self align!!
72 Dodge Dart

Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

ah good with sleave bolts you don't need the hub centering rings

throw them away :thumbright:

or use them to keep you push through hubcaps on

sleave bolts is what iv got, never had aproblem just my nuts are bigger than yours :thumbright:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VALIANT-for- ... 5d48b1c4e4

Dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Cheers Dave......The spigot rings will be removed and i'll see what else I can mess up!!!! :thumbright:
72 Dodge Dart

Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Update in the sun.....Wheels now on and correct....

72 Dodge Dart

Steve

Post by Steve »

Very nice Dave...looks the part matey! :thumbright:
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Next was to get back to working down the MOT list.

The left indicator tell tale bulb on the dash had gone and unknown to me this is now a fail at MOT time.

Whilst doing this i wanted to upgrade what i had to make it a little more visable in the dark.

Spoke to Jon Leonard last year and we had a discussion about LED's. Seem like a good idea. Brighter, run cooler with less electrical draw than the old Incandescent bulbs.

Found these on Ebay UK.......Come in various colours for a whole £3 delivered for 4.......

There are loads of different setups. I went for the 7 LED type.....

Tried my best to locate the bulb with the dash in situe, but steering column and support metalwork plus the spagetti wiring meant after 2 hours on Friday i got Bananarama! of and decided to yank the lot........Had to drop the column to do so.....:roll:

Sat night was a 5 hour full strip down to idividual parts, clean and rebuild. All electrical connections were sanded clean. The rear board on the dash had gone a very dull brown/bronze due to time and atmosphere. Multi tool was ditched (to harsh) for elbow grease and 1200 fine grit sand paper.

Result:

Today was the install.....Another three hours, slowly slowly catchy monkey!! Lots of profanity doing all this, as being upside down with my legs over the headrest and constantly dropping and losing, nuts, washers and screws tends to shorten my patience.....
Cleaned and sanded all earth connections, bolted it all back in and the results are spot on!!! :D

Much better in the day and loads brighter in the dark
Light:
Dark: 8-)

One more off the list........Really getting into this! :thumbright:
72 Dodge Dart

Steve

Post by Steve »

What a great result Dave...a great little job done and a good chance to check everything else out as you did. I need to do this on my Polara as the instrument lights still not fixed....got to be worth the effort. Your days will disappear getting stuck in mate....keep it coming :thumbright: