Badbird

Moderator: Moderators

shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

Mark, you are welcome to come & have a chat in the pits if we're not having a thrash. Hopefully you will soon be finding out just how much torque & power those turbo's make, it is truly awesome. We ran 240mph (239.8 actually) with only a 6.29 & it was still building speed at quite some rate, so prepare to hang on for the ride of your life.
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Rob,
Thanks.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Guy wrote:
autofetish wrote:slow down

what car is this

We need more pictures and info
Here's the car Will
The bird is more like a chameleon, as it's always changing colours, red, green, i think it's changed colour again, Rob would know.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

Yep, back in black for 2013, the photographers didn't like it when it first came out black as it didn't photograph well, so the car was done Hemi Orange for a while, then Sublime. We have never gone down the corporate sponsorship route as realistically unless you get a real biggie it can be alot of hassle keeping a sponsor happy & giving them value for money, so the car doesn't need to "be seen" in event coverage. Also so many people have said that it just looked Baaaad in satin black & it's also easy to touch up with a rattle can ;) that it was the only way to go.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

aaahhhhhh

That car =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

Keep the info and pictures coming

Those exhausts manifolds are sex
db

Post by db »

So glad you're going Back In Black ;)
One of the meanest and best looking racecars i've ever seen. Good luck with the development work and thanks for keeping us posted :thumbright:
No-one will believe you...
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Rob cant you use an electric operated Dump valve to lose some boost at the press of a button as some of the Rally cars do ??
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

AllKiller wrote:Rob cant you use an electric operated Dump valve to lose some boost at the press of a button as some of the Rally cars do ??
That is a bit of an all or nothing approach, the AMS has the ability to control the boost with a very high degree of precision (in theory), remember the whole run is only around 6 seconds & you need to feed the boost in smoothly, the AMS works by pulsing CO2 solenoids on the back of the wastegate to control the amount of boost.
sublimemike
Location: oxford - the dreaming spires where cars in the city are banned

Post by sublimemike »

Love that car - lights and wipers and off for the MOT :D :D :D Really interesting to learn the set up - thanks for posting
if you think speed kills don't get on a plane
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

shovelheadrob wrote:
AllKiller wrote:Rob cant you use an electric operated Dump valve to lose some boost at the press of a button as some of the Rally cars do ??
That is a bit of an all or nothing approach, the AMS has the ability to control the boost with a very high degree of precision (in theory), remember the whole run is only around 6 seconds & you need to feed the boost in smoothly, the AMS works by pulsing CO2 solenoids on the back of the wastegate to control the amount of boost.
Got you Rob, when Mark said 'across' the wastegate i was thinking it was some other type of control. and i couldnt work out what.
Cheers

Rob, Another Question...does the fuel mapping go to full ON when the turbos are spooled up....
Only just wondering as in a more old school way, my mates Turbo Buick in the States goes from sequential to full spray injection on max Boost in second gear...as he has proven on a dyno, the V6 turbo Motor just eats the fuel and makes power.
I understand with all the more advanced computer controls over the fuel mapping, in this car its more controlled...just wondering.
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

I can't comment on the mapping as that has been taken care of by Nick & Rob at I.C.E http://www.iceautomotive.co.uk/index.html, I wouldn't have thought it would do that though as we have 2 sets of mahoosive injectors & although you need to burn more fuel to make power, the most power is when you are on the lean edge.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Fantastic looking power plant and car! :shock:

Look forward to seeing it this year! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

Been back in the workshop today, final assembly including new driveshaft, fit tunnel & shifter, it's amazing, it doesn't matter how expensive some things from the good ol' USA are, they still don't fit & work as they should. Bit of work to be done with shifter lever on the Rossler & cable bracket still, but got it near enough to make some noise!
Well once we'd found a couple of glitches with the new wiring!
Computer is on a go slow so will add some pics & a short vid later!
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

Here ya go, sorry no vid after over half an hour to upload to youtube it hasn't worked :smash:

Pete

Post by Pete »

Jaw-dropping...................
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God