Timber garages and insurance

News, jokes, computer help, whatever!

Moderator: Moderators

MilesnMiles

Timber garages and insurance

Post by MilesnMiles »

Looking to build a new garage and quite fancy a timber one. I know some of the guys on here have built them.
My question is..how much did the car insurance company laugh at you or were they happy to insure?
My insurance always ask for a brick built garage. Don't want to commit cash until I've decided between block, timber or concrete.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I would not worry, your GN is only worth a grand, or so I am told ;)

Could you mitigate the risk with a wooden garage with PIR's or such like or chains set into the floors like some Harley owners have taken to doing?

Interesting to see other people's views on this.........
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Interesting topic.
I've built loads of timber garages and never thought about the insurance side of things.
All I get asked on bike insurance is if it is garaged. They've never asked what is built from
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Pete_B

Post by Pete_B »

The key term most insurance companies seem to use is "secure" or locked garage. I've never heard them ask about construction, Im guessing that most people assosciate timber construction with cart-lodge style open sided which dont normally have doors which makes things in them difficult to secure.

I'd have thought as long as it has some means of making it secure it shoulnt be an issue
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

While we are here.

What is the uk law as to building a man cave.

Do you need planning permission

or can i just turn my garden into a garage

Good Post
:read2:
Pete_B

Post by Pete_B »

As long as its less than 30 meters square of floor area, and single story (watch that roof ridge height) and atleast one meter from the property boundary you should be good
aussie pete

Post by aussie pete »

insurance companies get twitchy where wooden garages are concerned as they class them as a fire risk.
I believe that a garage attached to a house (that is within 1 metre) will need planning permission,..beyond that, brick built will need at least building regs and maybe planning but concrete and wooden are classed as temporary building and do not need planning.
As an added note, the government suspended the requirement for planning permission for 12 months meaning that you can build whatever you want (within certain paramiters) without the need for planning permission
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

My garage is more than double 30 sq meters of floor area & planning permission was not required, it came within the Permitted development rules.

I would advise checking with local council website on permitted development rules & regulations.

Due to my ridge height, I needed to maintain 2 meters from property boundaries.

I haven't been informed of any premium increase due to having a wooden garage...My garage is also 70 meters from my house, maybe this is the reason it's classed as less of a risk
Last edited by mopar_mark on Sat Feb 23, 13 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Pete_B

Post by Pete_B »

Aussie Pete's quite correct anything attatched to the house or within one meter of a boudary will need planning consent.
As stated check with your local planning authority.

p.s its also worth noting that materials can also change the need for planning consent or not as the case may be
Charger

Re: Timber garages and insurance

Post by Charger »

MilesnMiles wrote:Looking to build a new garage and quite fancy a timber one. I know some of the guys on here have built them.
My question is..how much did the car insurance company laugh at you or were they happy to insure?
My insurance always ask for a brick built garage. Don't want to commit cash until I've decided between block, timber or concrete.
In the process of a garage build myself, early days yet, clearing the ground to make space

Hadn’t considered timber vs insurance … are you asking from a security or a fire point of view??

:thumbright:
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
Charger

Post by Charger »

autofetish wrote:While we are here.

What is the uk law as to building a man cave.

Do you need planning permission

or can i just turn my garden into a garage

Good Post
:read2:
“Outbuildings are considered to be permitted development, not needing planning permission, subject to the following limits and conditions ...”

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permis ... buildings/

I used the attached as a guide, you should also check with your local authority for specific regulations applicable to your property

:thumbright:
Attachments
outbuildings.pdf
(186.14 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
TYREMAN

Post by TYREMAN »

I would go for what is best for the car bodywork screw the insurance price,is it true the timber breathes better so less rust?
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Thanks for the interest guys. I'm aware of the planning laws and its worthwhile checking the Permitted Development rules which have relaxed a lot of planning requirements.
The garage I'm building will have space for me to work on the car to. I'd read that timber is best in terms of warmth and ability to breathe. Steal is worst due to condensation...and I live 100 yards from the sea!
My concern was whether anyone had had their car insurance increased due to garage being timber?
The garage is well away from the house so not concerned about house insurance.

Pete, of course 1k doesn't buy much timber these days ;)
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Sorry for the hijack

Im insured with RH as is alot of people on here

We the car be garaged sir YES

That was it
Carl

Post by Carl »

This topic couldnt of come at a better time as I am in the process of drawing up plans and submitting a proposal for a timber garage. I also didnt give thought about insurance or wheather the security might be questionable regards motor insurance. Wheather the building is brick, wood or steel construction the security level is only as good as the door or the lock on the door.

I need permission for a timber garage as I want it built within 1 meter or the boundry fence and house. :cry: But im going to board and render the outside.
Last edited by Carl on Sun Feb 24, 13 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.