Rollcage

Moderator: Moderators

mas

Rollcage

Post by mas »

I'm looking to build a rollcage and wanted to know what the requirements are for tube sizes and wall thickness.

Cheers mas
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mas one of your cheaper options is to order from SW Racecars in the States mine was less than £500 to the door for a 10 point cage . Then at least you know it fits all and all bent right and also the right wall thickness, you just have a small amount of trimming to suit your car. It took about 10 days to arrive :thumbright:

Follow this link http://www.swracecars.com/store/10-Poin ... AR_32.aspx

I know that a few member's on here have used them for stuff and to be honest it just wasn't worth the bother of getting a bender and trying it myself. It starts to get expensive if/when you mess up a couple of bends.

:mytwocents:
Jon Connolly

Post by Jon Connolly »

Hi Mas

Yes what Guy says .. if you get it done yourself cost can really run away .. have a look at the Jegster kits as well

http://www.jegs.com/i/Jegster/550/944304K/10002/-1
9.844 @ 134.04 ... Smallblock Valiant + NOS

10.169 @ 130.17 ... Smallblock Dodge Ram pick up truck - motor only.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvwC1fd0 ... 8Z96U8t0LQ
Blue

Post by Blue »

If you are planning on running in a particular class, check the rule book, it's not just tube size and gauge but also how many points and where the tubes are located. Even if you are not going to run in a class, check to see how it should be done, no point in fitting a cage that wouldn't pass tech when you are starting from scratch.
74challenger318

Post by 74challenger318 »

Everything i build is 1 3/4 1.5mm, think that`s minimum size for roll over loop, if your cage is minimum i would go with a 2" roll over tube, has to be CDS tube, or if you want to pay a bit extra T45 tubing, FIA spec is different again, but like said look into what requirements you need for classes your using it in, i go by the MSA rule book,

http://www.msadragracing.co.uk/index.html

http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentvi ... ticle=1158

:thumbright:
mas

Post by mas »

Thanks for all the replies/info. I'm not looking to run in any class or competion, it's mainly going to be a street car and maybe run it up the strip now and then, which ive never done before!!!. Jon I have got the from jegs but I'm not happy with how it fits plus it weighs a bloody ton so I guess build one myself to get what I want :thumbright:
Carl

Post by Carl »

I was thinking of adding a cage, but hear stories of they arnt legal in a road car, others say thay are (i think they are) and issues with insurance companies not liking them?
Petty Roadrunner 416 Stroker 4 Speed
*MMA-609*
"Built to be driven!"

Why me??? :banghead:
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

I appreciate you are not looking to run in a class or competion, but makes far more sense to me, if you followed rules set by MSA.

It probably wont cost more in the end, maybe more time, but you will end up with a cage which meets your needs & better opportnity for resale if the cage will tech.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
R.RUNNER

Post by R.RUNNER »

If you want to know about roll cages..................................................................................ask Pete Wiseman :D :D :D

:P :P :P
I`M PROUD TO BE AN ENGLISHMAN.......WITH A `68 GTX
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

R.RUNNER wrote:If you want to know about roll cages..................................................................................ask Pete Wiseman :D :D :D

:P :P :P
You certainly liven this place up at times :D :D
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."
Pete.S

Post by Pete.S »

Hey contact me @ chassis Tec race cars on fb or message me on here can supplie you all the tube in correct sizes ect if you looking to tag you can either go for 9.99or 8.50.

As mark says follow the rules for each spec and you know it will be safe.

Also 1.5mm wall is not legal or safe especially when increasing o/Dover 1.50 inch.

Ignor the msa blue book for drag racing specs it's different.

Please contact me for any help info specs sizes ect, here to help.
Last edited by Pete.S on Fri Jun 21, 13 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

If it's not a race car then don't fit a roll cage.

You are just making it tricky to get in and out of the car, lowering it's re-sale value, and adding weight to make the car much slower.
Pete.S

Post by Pete.S »

In response to dave.

Resale: bolt in

Your life is more important than weight.
db

Post by db »

Carl wrote:I was thinking of adding a cage, but hear stories of they arnt legal in a road car, others say thay are (i think they are) and issues with insurance companies not liking them?
My Belve has an 8pt welded in cage, I had no bother with insurance (through the NSRA). I've just changed to another insurer, no problem there either.
No-one will believe you...
Pete

Post by Pete »

A cage massively improves the torsional rigidity of a monocoque car. Better than sub-frame connectors..........

Even a simple 6 point rear cage could help in this respect - which is good for a high torque motor......
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God