Tips for beginners please!!!

Moderator: Moderators

Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

The AA (and others) had to pick up about a half dozen cars from just inside the main gate after last years Nats. There was a huge wait for some people. Even after phoning for recovery at luchtime, some were not away until well into the early evening.
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

should use Green Flag then...they'll give you your enrolement money back or something like that, if there not there within an hour :lol:

Les
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Paul. I think you'll have one of the biggest fan clubs there! It's always nice to see someone finally get to the track after a long build.
It was great to see Guy back on track this year for the same reason.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Tell me about it - I spent half the afternoon under the Dart - as you say - really good to see these blokes make it to the track after all the trials and tribulations.

I think the Nats is great for that and everyone helping eachother out!!!!

I will probably need someone with a big broom myself this year..........
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Guy

Post by Guy »

Your time was very much appreciated Pete :thumbright: looking forward to a drama free Nats this year
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

I had a go down the track at the Nats in 2011 (didn't get there last year), really enjoyed it, my first time ever.
Ended up in the left hand lane against a 6 second Mustang, lol.

Drove round the burnout box as was on street tyres and didn't see the need for a burnout, watched the tree, left on green and what seemed like a fortnight later left the track through the first exit. No major issue's, discovered that my fuel pump isn't up to quarter mile fun (all in hand when cash allows). My son was loving the fact that I was going down the track, my daughter was in tears at the thought of me breaking the car and us not getting home.

The only thing I would do different next time round is to remember to empty the boot of all the tools before racing :D
Oh, the Mustang pulled a red light so I won (ok, only by default)
Go for it :thumbright:
Don't forget to take something to wear with long sleeves for when you're racing and a helmet if you're going to go over 100MPH
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
the dodge

Post by the dodge »

Rebel wrote:Don't forget to take something to wear with long sleeves for when you're racing and a helmet if you're going to go over 100MPH
i think a helmet is compulsory now, not just for over 100mph, even so its a safe bet to have one dont want to mash your swede!
ticking away the moments that make up a dull day, you fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.

no car - buts its gotta be a mopar!
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Rebel wrote: Oh, the Mustang pulled a red light so I won (ok, only by default)
As Vin Diesel said in F&F........A Win is a Win! :D

You beat a 6 second Mustang......No-one can take that away from you! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Dave81 wrote:
Rebel wrote: Oh, the Mustang pulled a red light so I won (ok, only by default)
As Vin Diesel said in F&F........A Win is a Win! :D

You beat a 6 second Mustang......No-one can take that away from you! :thumbright:
:thumbright: kept the timing slip as well 8-)
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Dart Vader

Post by Dart Vader »

Paul,

The only thing I can offer up is as follows

Bring Beer

Oh, and...

Don't be too concerned about hitting a time or speed on this first outing. You need to know how your car behaves on the track and build up confidence in it.

It's like dating a girl, going for it big time on the first date may end up you getting a slap in the face.

Working on her bit by bit will get you the numbers you want.
Justin "Supreme Leader" Greener
1970 Dodge Dart
1995 Mustang GT
1980 MGBGT
db

Post by db »

Dart Vader wrote: It's like dating a girl, going for it big time on the first date may end up you getting a slap in the face.
:lol: well put!!
No-one will believe you...
Rusty

Post by Rusty »

Or snapping your bowstring
:shock:
V8 Sam

Post by V8 Sam »

Well, that escalated quickly... :shock:
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

here ya go

how to drive a 4 speed slowly down the track

first run just go the left lane and let the fella next to you get out of the way. or go way faster than he does, ideally you want to be able to see him so you can avoid him if he decides to visit your side of the track

i don't burn out cos (i probably don't have the torque) and i'd only be spinning 1 tyre, my tiny cogs would disintegrate

got may ass spanked by a truck booooo....don't worry nobody's actually watching from the point where they see you pull up at the line (unless you are noisy and fast)

I beat him on the return road, he just gave up.... :D

think the first exit gate was shut on this one eith that or i was going much slower than usual

Dave taking it leisurely since 2004
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I fell asleep half way through that run but fortunatly woke up again later just in time to see you cross the finish line. :thumbright: