I have a fish story

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

That's one mean looking front end !!!
Great work Drew. Keep the thread rolling =P~
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

drewcrane wrote:My main point is Mopar did a different console , in 70(ash tray) ,and after that they changed the area behind the console door (seat belt holder),not totally sure on that but for some reason I have the units with the seat belt holder and I feel it looks unfinished and I wont be using factory belt any way so I opted for the ash tray console and chose to restore that.
Other way around Drew. The seat belt holder was 1970. The ash tray was 1971-on. So the ash tray is correct for a 71 Cuda. :thumbright:

I think that hood is the flattest AAR or T/A hood I have ever seen fitted on a car. You are getting as fussy as me mate. :D
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Dave wrote:
drewcrane wrote:My main point is Mopar did a different console , in 70(ash tray) ,and after that they changed the area behind the console door (seat belt holder),not totally sure on that but for some reason I have the units with the seat belt holder and I feel it looks unfinished and I wont be using factory belt any way so I opted for the ash tray console and chose to restore that.
Other way around Drew. The seat belt holder was 1970. The ash tray was 1971-on. So the ash tray is correct for a 71 Cuda. :thumbright:

I think that hood is the flattest AAR or T/A hood I have ever seen fitted on a car. You are getting as fussy as me mate. :D
Can't be that fussy Dave ?
Your driving a vette !!! :D
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Dave wrote:

Yea i think the fusseyness rubbed off when I was around you like a disease .

Ahh good glad the promoted smoking in 71

,and this is my 2nd AAR hood some poor old sod has the other ,it was way worse I took a price hit on it just to get it out of my site :x
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Just a quick up date I did actually drive it around the block ,the first shakedown run, have a few bugs ,bleed the brakes one more time got a good pedal,some minor leccy bugs, I REALLY need a windshield, it helps alot :) got that goin in today,as well as the back glass, some seat belts ,and do another run, then the door glass and rear 1/4 glass, my least favorite thing on these cars , they are a real PIA :roll:
Attachments
yard 031.jpg
yard 031.jpg (116.92 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

drewcrane wrote:Just a quick up date I did actually drive it around the block ,the first shakedown run, have a few bugs ,bleed the brakes one more time got a good pedal,some minor leccy bugs, I REALLY need a windshield, it helps alot :) got that goin in today,as well as the back glass, some seat belts ,and do another run, then the door glass and rear 1/4 glass, my least favorite thing on these cars , they are a real PIA :roll:
WHY NOT PAINT IT FIRST DREW
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Cannonball wrote:
drewcrane wrote:Just a quick up date I did actually drive it around the block ,the first shakedown run, have a few bugs ,bleed the brakes one more time got a good pedal,some minor leccy bugs, I REALLY need a windshield, it helps alot :) got that goin in today,as well as the back glass, some seat belts ,and do another run, then the door glass and rear 1/4 glass, my least favorite thing on these cars , they are a real PIA :roll:
WHY NOT PAINT IT FIRST DREW
Well I did my chally this way all the edges,jams ,trunk have been epoxy primed and painted, so all I will have to do is back tape it,paint ,polish the line and the trim will cover the tape line if need be,I know kind of back wards , but then I plan on blocking the whole thing seal it with epoxy primer , so we can drive it a bit,,and get some sandable primer on it ,block some more ,then I can get ready for paint ,

I also wont be using the factory trim I will use modern trim ,urethayne seal the holes for the old trim ,that is usually an area for leaks and it in the future someone wants to go back to factory trim they can I want a smoother custom look,my glass guy gave a sample, he has done it on several cars and I really like the look,with a small amount of heat it will go around the corners,
Attachments
trium 001.jpg
trium 001.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
tri8m 006.jpg
tri8m 006.jpg (76.07 KiB) Viewed 2059 times
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

THATS OK MUCKER I DID NOT SEE YOU HAD ALREADY PAINTED THEM AREAS, THE TRIM LOOKS GOOD,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

I have to take a break from this for now ,but I did get the two out and managed to clean out the garage for once , ,it is nice to be able to start the cars and back them out under their own power.

Now I have yard work to do :roll:
Attachments
Memorial weekend 001.jpg
Memorial weekend 001.jpg (111.48 KiB) Viewed 2010 times
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Wow I never new you had it in ya

Great stuff :thumbright:
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

A late night for me resulted in some good , much needed details that have been bothering me since I have owned this car, the door gaps were awful.and with new fenders (AMD) they fit like socks on a rooster as far as the gaps.

So we did some cutting, welding and grinding to fill those nasty gaps.

And we also welded up the antennae hole..
Attachments
Door gaps 011.jpg
Door gaps 011.jpg (57.6 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Door gaps 008.jpg
Door gaps 008.jpg (67.37 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Door gaps 004.jpg
Door gaps 004.jpg (57.76 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
Door gaps 001.jpg
Door gaps 001.jpg (73.51 KiB) Viewed 1965 times
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Welding and grinding , :D
I pulled one of the old fenders out for reference , I wont throw anything away till I see tail lights down the drive,but I did notice the fine job that the factory and some else added the under coating, it saved the car...NOT

I also found the speaker I need for the back seat ;)
Attachments
941524_600483659985030_398177903_n.jpg
941524_600483659985030_398177903_n.jpg (71.14 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Door gaps 022.jpg
Door gaps 022.jpg (63.85 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Door gaps 018.jpg
Door gaps 018.jpg (101.23 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Door gaps 013.jpg
Door gaps 013.jpg (74.93 KiB) Viewed 1961 times
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Nice work Drew.
Should get a fair amount of bass from that speaker !! :shock:
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
AllKiller

Post by AllKiller »

Really like that smooth new style window trim Drew , gonna give it a cool stealth flush look :thumbright: 8-)
ALL KILLER NO FILLER
Nostalgia, its not what it used to be.

Carbon footprint of a Saturn V
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

AllKiller wrote:Really like that smooth new style window trim Drew , gonna give it a cool stealth flush look :thumbright: 8-)
yea I will use some butyl rubber to make it flush and the trim will go on the glass with a channel , it should be really nice and seal up better than the factory trim.

my intention will be to install the glass with out the trim,then block the car,paint a coat of epoxy primer ,so my wife can drive it , she is chomping at the bit just for a drive, we have to save up for paint at this point, so I dont want to have the car down any longer and I want to drive it too,

then I will have to pull the glass for paint ,and reinstall with the trim ;)

Closing up the holes for the GC trim , will now allow me to install the side glass,not my favorite job , but it is next on the agenda,and again the wife wants to help,so she will get to assist on the door/1/4 glass :D