Faux: the antonym of genuine

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Faux-7-0

Faux: the antonym of genuine

Post by Faux-7-0 »

Some of you may have seen my '69 442 on various occasions but my reason for joining the MMA is currently slightly less roadworthy. I don't envisage much happening for a while but now seems as good a time as any to start a workshop thread so you can see the start point and the progress (or lack thereof) for yourselves.

So, let me introduce the car which will ultimately replace the 442. This is my 1972 Challenger which as you can see has already had some serious surgery. Not only have the floors been replaced, but someone decided that they wanted a vanishing point replica rather than a 72 and have replaced the rear panel and inner/outer rear quarters so this will be the appearance when finished. i.e. a faux 1970!

Ultimately it will be taken back to bare metal so I can see what's actually under the thick white gloss but I already know about the skim on the roof (which dramatically fractured when the panel was thumped from underneath) although the metal's still good so it should be repairable.

Finished result will be a 440-6 pack & four speed instead of the original 318 auto. It's a while off at the moment but it's nice to dream.
Attachments
The rolling shell.
The rolling shell.
Challenger Nov 2012 036 small.jpg (120.58 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
Undercarriage - new metal - not covered in sealer/stone-chip yet.
Undercarriage - new metal - not covered in sealer/stone-chip yet.
032 small.jpg (105.77 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
Probably done to avoid wrecking the headliner at the time. (Not really an issue now).
Probably done to avoid wrecking the headliner at the time. (Not really an issue now).
Challenger Nov 2012 015 small.jpg (75.55 KiB) Viewed 2486 times
Alan; whose 72 Challenger is inexorably taking over the house.
sinny

Post by sinny »

Now that's got potential! Sixpack is a great choice too.

These things do take a long time but sounds like you've already got the finished car in your head & that's a great motivator!

Good luck with the build & make sure you keep us updated with plenty of pics! :thumbright:
Shaun 'Moparless' Senior
MMA Club Chairman
db

Post by db »

Yup, what Sinny says- Good luck with that :thumbright:
No-one will believe you...
Ivor
Site Admin

Post by Ivor »

I'm loving that filler on the roof, that's got to weigh ten pounds!

Nice project too, it will be great to see pix of progress, however slow or disastrous. ;)
The pump don’t work coz the vandals took the handles.

www.ivorsroadrunner.com
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Great looking project!

Shame you can't keep the 442 and this..........Would be a bloody good 2 car garage!! 8-)
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
MattH

Post by MattH »

You could hide a sunroof in that filler. Looks like a project with a familiar ring to it, 72 to 70. Mines a 73 to 70.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Faux-7-0

Post by Faux-7-0 »

Well, it's been a while since I've provided an update on this and to be honest, I was looking at getting the ball rolling in about another 6 months but circumstances changed recently.

You may recall my recent post in relation to a 57 Chevy for sale due to loss of storage? Well, my Challenger was previously residing in the same unit which has now been sold for redevelopment. This meant a serious re-think on timescales.

The end result (after a bit of panic) is that the car has now been moved to a body shop with the first task being to tackle the roof.

Just for clarity, I'm only paying the bill here (as I want a decent result at the end) but from the below, I'm fairly happy.

Further updates to follow (probably in quick succession).
Attachments
20140828_114627 - small.jpg
20140828_114627 - small.jpg (172.32 KiB) Viewed 2286 times
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

Looking great

Keep the pictures and updates coming
The closer you are to death the more alive you are
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Gosh what happened to the roof to require all that filler?

looks like a cool project , good luck :thumbright:
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I think I saw this at North American motors in farnbourough a few weeks ago??? Plenty of potential there.
1968 Ford Fairlane 500 Wimbledon White. Currently a 302 auto but to be 410 4 speed.
Faux-7-0

Post by Faux-7-0 »

Thanks for the comments.

Bryan: Yep, you did see it at North American.

Drew: No idea on the circumstances which required a half inch thick skim - it was like this when it was imported.

So, let me now bring you a bit more up to date. I mentioned previously that the car had already had some replacement metal work which included replacement rear quarters but as workmanship can vary, I wanted to be certain this was done to a decent standard. Fortunately the joint was found to be a continuous weld so there should be no issues going forward.

You'll note the running light aperture has been welded over - I've decided to remove these - partly because the lack thereof will suit the end appearance and partly to remove the bodge on the front wings which had been crudely adapted to take a 70/71 light.

There's also been some work on the front end. The bumper has temporarily been fitted to align the grille and repaired/blasted headlight mounts installed (although they're not fixed yet in the picture).

More soon - as a taster: the boot gutters are apparently all filler in the corners. :shock:
Attachments
Right hand rear quarter - investigating the previous work.
Right hand rear quarter - investigating the previous work.
20140828_114854 small.jpg (161.12 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
Front End with new headlight bracketry.
Front End with new headlight bracketry.
20140828_114704 small.jpg (216.94 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

Drew: No idea on the circumstances which required a half inch thick skim - it was like this when it was imported.

I have removed more on our cuda, some people are just plain lazy and these cars were not meant to be around this long,

and during the 80,s and 90,s parts were very scarce so bondo was the only thing a person could do........or they were just cheap and lazy.

Keep the pix coming ,great project,and V.P.
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

i had very similar filler issue with mine.

I found the rear quarter had been welded to far in on lower edge and then filled with filler to bring out to same level of door when closed

great thread keep the pictures coming :thumbright:
Faux-7-0

Post by Faux-7-0 »

As I mentioned previously, the boot gutter has previously been the subject of some overzealous use of filler which has meant replacing the channels.

The original rear valance panel had a rust hole in the centre so this was always intended to be replaced. The replacement panel was obtained in kit form (as it had previously been cut to fit a 'Cuda) so there's been a bit of reconstruction surgery here too.

More soon.
Attachments
Area around the overrider is new metal.
Area around the overrider is new metal.
20140902_165139 small.jpg (180.19 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Repaired left hand side.
Repaired left hand side.
20140902_172319 small.jpg (199.73 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
Right hand gutter corner in course of repair
Right hand gutter corner in course of repair
20140902_165151 small.jpg (222.41 KiB) Viewed 2139 times
autofetish

Post by autofetish »

very impressive

keep the pictures coming !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!