Do Hoosier do EU/UK legal street tyres?

Moderator: Moderators

MilesnMiles

Do Hoosier do EU/UK legal street tyres?

Post by MilesnMiles »

Been offered a pair in p/x, but need to know if Hoosier do UK legal tyres.
Tyres in question have full tread pattern, not drag radials.
Their own uk website is unclear
Blue

Post by Blue »

As far as I'm aware, Hoosier are EU legit as regards dirty oil etc. Not sure if they are E marked though.
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Ok Blue, thanks. Their website isn't clear. I assume I need the E number to be safe in the event of an insurance claim?
Turnip

Post by Turnip »

Give Kate at Andy Robinson Race Cars a call, She is very good on tyres 01256 880589
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Cheers,
I've ascertained so far that it's not legal to sell non E stamped tyres, but you can use them :?
db

Post by db »

This is lifted from here:
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/archive ... 26023.html

There's a lot of opinion on this topic, but there's no substitute for facts.
This is the official position, posted here as a matter of record:

Department for Transport
Sent:

Enquiry regarding the use of non e-marked tyres in the UK - cars

Dear Sir or Madam,

I would like to confirm that it is legal to use non e-marked tyres on the UK roads, and be fully compliant with 'Construction and Use' regulations and the Road Traffic Act.

The supply of tyres is clearly governed by the Motor Vehicle Tyres (Safety) Regulations 1994, under which any UK tyre retailer must fulfil their legal obligations by not selling non e-marked tyres intended for road use.

Non e-marked tyres however can become present on the UK roads via imported cars, or via direct overseas purchases, or sourced from a UK retailer selling tyres for non-road use.

Once a non e-marked tyre is fitted to a car, irrespective of how sourced, the tyre obligations of the vehicle user fall firmly under the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986.

I am unaware of any references within Construction and Use regulations which stipulate ECE regulation adherence (specifically to UN/ECE Regulation 30 (http://www.unece.org/trans/main/wp29/wp ... 030r3e.pdf)).

The tyre in question is a non e-marked USA road legal 'DOT' (USA Dept of Transport) stamped tyre*, with UK road legal tread depth, tread wear markers, and in all respects, complies with the Construction and Use regulations.

This is simply to understand a position which has occurred in the past, and may or may not be repeated in the future.

Yours faithfully,

Chris Eyre
* Not one of those pictured at the top of this thread

Reply in:

Dear Mr Eyre

If the passenger car tyre in question complies with the appropriate requirements of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, as amended, it is considered safe for use on the road.

Yours sincerely

DfT – Transport Technology and Standards
No-one will believe you...
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Thanks Paul, that seems to confirm what I've read.
db

Post by db »

No-one will believe you...