1966 Barracuda X's 2

Use this forum for all your builds in progress.

Moderator: Moderators

Charger

Post by Charger »

that is small, either that or it has got a MASSIVE rear number plate :D ;) :thumbright:
Si
1970 Charger 500
383 | 4bbl | 727 column | PAS | PAB | buckets/buddy - check out my photos HERE

If you don't want another same old brand-new car ... you could be DODGE MATERIAL

1970 Dodge Charger Registry - https://www.1970chargerregistry.com/
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

haven't done anything to this for a while except repair the centre grill n badge and sandblast the Rallye wheels so they can be repainted. been battling on with the S800 to get it ready for paint.

(couple of pages back you can see it was quite flat)

found that aftermarket Jaguar E Type front bearing spacers will fit the front hubs, once 1/2 inch machined off, so just need to order a pair of them. £20 each.

will probably do more to the Barracuda next month.
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

poor old thing has been neglected for a while.

wheels have been painted in a darkish silver

and carrying on with the front disc conversion

measuring the wheel bearings i found that they are the exactly the same as Jaguar E Type so no problem finding those :) . the spacer will need machining down then fine tuned with MGB wheel bearing shims. nut will then be done up very tight which will make the spindle much stiffer and stop the bearings spinning on the stubaxle.

drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

grille looks great,wheels very nice,and the bearing comparison ,great find I MIGHT win a bar wager on that one,

great project keep it going :thumbright: :thumbright: :thumbright:
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

i tried an MGB bearing kit and they are exactly the same as well (couldn't find sizes listed anywhere so i took a chance to see if they were the same). the only difference is the seals are different in each kit and none fit the Barracuda hubs.

needless to say the MGB bearings are cheaper to buy.
Steve

Post by Steve »

Love this car....that rear window is a work of art =P~

Im very impressed with your attention to detail and the neatness of everything. All the paint finishes look perfect etc....this will definitely be a keeper. Keep up the great work matey :thumbright: :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

still having fun with the front disc conversion

iv'e machined the spacers down to 1.650 inches which means i just need to fit the thinnist shim to get the bearing clearence. will probably torque the stub axle nut to 80lbs.

but what i did notice is that the inner bearing didn't sit flush on the stub axle :? . i tried the original USA made bearing and that was the same? so i put a larger radius in the new bearings and they now sit flush on the machined face rather than sitting on the radius. something to look out for!

will need to machine the nut for the splitpin hole to align when torqued.

got some new wheel studs. they hold the disc to the hub so had to stick with standard for the front.

bit slow with this one :oops:
drewcrane

Post by drewcrane »

:happy1: :thumbright:
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

got to love this forum :thumbright:

put a wanted add in for a 8 3/4 and I end up with this

ready to bolt in A Body 489 suregrip with 4 inch pcd and 3.23 gears. and delivered 8-) . cheers John, good to meet you :thumbright: .

got a bit of time off soon so may get a bit more done to the Barracuda :)
paolo_mangusta

Post by paolo_mangusta »

That is a result! Mine's just arrived from Florida, and I'll still need to overhaul the diff and get a suregrip in there...
'64 Barracuda
Pete

Post by Pete »

Great quality build Barry - keep those pictures coming!! :thumbright:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
terryr

Post by terryr »

don't want to Bananarama! on your fire,but will you have enough room for grease to lubricate your front wheel bearings ,as there is normally a gap between them which you have put the spacer into,which would hold grease,i can see the inside one getting hot
db

Post by db »

Nice work :thumbright:
No-one will believe you...
Bozwell

Post by Bozwell »

terryr wrote: will you have enough room for grease to lubricate your front wheel bearings ,
wheel bearings are greased prior to fitting and there is still plenty of room in the hub to hold more grease. the spacer doesn't take up that much room and doesn't cause any issues other than add a little unsprung weight to the front.

we fit them all the time to race cars that corner hard. making the stub axle stiffer prevents brake pad knockoff due to the disc pushing them back in as the stub axle flexes.
terryr

Post by terryr »

:thumbright: