Moderator: Moderators

Dave-R

10,000hp from the Top Fuel Hemi

Post by Dave-R »

Interesting about the firing order.
jerry

Post by jerry »

That is interesting about the firing order,would like some more info on whats
involved and how it makes more power but guess its all top secret.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Crank, cam and distributor (if used) would have to be custom made.
shovelheadrob

Post by shovelheadrob »

We've been running a 18736542 firing order on Badbird for a few years now it's just a different cam as the pistons are still in the same position relative to crankshaft rotation just that the power stroke becomes the intake stroke, same if you swap 2 & 3 around. It's nothing new, was used in pro stock a long time ago. Various theories out there about the logic behind it including harmonics & parasitic power losses. It's worth a small percentage of free power which when you are already extracting thousands of bhp which can be significant, for a street or even sub 1000bhp strip motor it would be an expensive waste of time.
Dave, you just swap the HT leads over (might have to buy new if they don't reach!)
You can't have too much power, only a lack of traction!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Very useful, Rob :thumbright: :thumbright: :read2:
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
bratfink

Post by bratfink »

Regular car HP can be more effectively tuned by combining relective waves in the exhaust. That means tuning header pipe lengths and bend positions so as to interact with the ajoining pipes pulse waves at a specific time.

They cannot have changed the firing order in order to optimize reflective waves in the TFX since the exhust ports are all independant. Therefore it must be either a harmonic or force equalization issue to keep cranks alive longer under the extreme forces. I doubt the engne is making more power because of the change of firing order, I suspect the firing order has been changed to address an issue created by making that much power.
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

shovelheadrob wrote:Dave, you just swap the HT leads over (might have to buy new if they don't reach!)
Yeah realised that cock-up just after writing it while at work and then completely forgot to edit it after. :oops:

Just me going round the twist. Nothing new. :lol:
Guy

Post by Guy »

I'm with James on this cause he is far brainer than me.. and it sorter makes sence ...
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Ah see Dave I leave for a few years and come back to find that absolutely nothing has changed.. :D
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

Well I still have my looks and you don't have the hair. :P :lol:
Guy

Post by Guy »

Dave just for you mate

.. ;)
Attachments
download.jpg
download.jpg (11.64 KiB) Viewed 1146 times
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

I said I still have my looks. I didn't say they were any good. :lol:
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Ah Mr Robson I have soooooo missed our little chats! But on the subject of top Fuel I now know how John force won all those championships- very subtle and completely undetectable ! ;)
db

Post by db »

Hydrazine?
Nah, the green flames would have given the game away... come on then, spill! :happy1:
No-one will believe you...
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

funnily enough IF you are smart enough to put a catalyst in the exhaust the flame will match the other car and no one will be any the wiser...
Very very sneaky indeed. but no not hydrazine, you can't tamper with the fuel, it all happens inside the motor.. Private email on this one though sir !