1968 605ci HEMI CUDA

Moderator: Moderators

Mick

Post by Mick »

I run 4.56 gears and 31" hoosiers, hits about 6700 in the lights.
That's where street cars are a compromise. You stick a big cam in and invariably, the rear gears, comp or converter are lacking, so you dont see much improvement. Whereas a race car, can run loads of gear, converter, comp and a big carb without pv's which helps to feed a large cam, heads etc. 20 yrs ago Jim's car would have been nirvana for me on the street but now i'd rather have something more like Ade Warmon's car, fairly quick with good brakes and handling.
Mick
db

Post by db »

Mossy68 wrote:
db wrote:4.56 gears on mine.
It was a bit of a pain with 29" tyres, now it's on 31"s it's great fun on the road :thumbright:
And what size do you use for the track Paul ?
The same ones I drove it there on :thumbright:
No-one will believe you...
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Why do people run 8 sec cars on the road and make a point of saying "its street legal", then wait for a round of applause......surely if you have a race car like that you judge your performance on the track do you not?.

With the advent of 33" M/T's lots of hp therefore 4.10 gears or less, I guess you can do it on the rpm side of things, and probably only have to use .050 thou of throttle movement, but why would you want to...its still a nightmare with a spool and your flogging your very expensive equipment, for what gain, enjoyment?....seems madness to me!

Les
Pete

Post by Pete »

I have come to exactly the same conclusion, Les.

That is why I have gone AWB - it's the easiest form of Pant-Poo'ing racing you can do, and then putt around in the lil' Dart on the street.

Mind you, I am VERY fortunate in that I can afford to have 2 cars, and thanks to Roydon have the SPACE to store 2 cars (and a Trailer that you trip over 90% of the time - AND a TOW Car as well...)

If you don't have the folding OR the stoarge space, I guess a quick road / strip car "compromise" is the best / only way to go.....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
db

Post by db »

I agree Pete, if I had the money I'd have a vintage Slingshot racer and a 66 Belve/ GTX/ Charger with modern-ish Hemi power & running gear as a tow car/ daily driver.

Then stick twin turbos on it :D
No-one will believe you...
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Yes your right Pete, and that is exactly what I had with the 340, but even that got too much for the road and Race only was the only way to go with the '69, although that was a road car when I bought it, well it had leaf springs anyway.....I guess you gotta grow up sometime.

When we start talking about a QUICK Drag Car and I guess nowadays that means 8's and quicker, driving it on the street and the owner being proud of that fact, to me, Lunacy comes to mind....but of course, I'm old school!.....who knows, maybe we'll get a flopper with opening doors on the street soon :lol:

Les
Pete

Post by Pete »

Well, you can run Bill Miller Ali rods on the street now - that was a no-no 20 years ago........
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God