My plans

Moderator: Moderators

pete walton

My plans

Post by pete walton »

Well i know i said i was gonna sell it ,but its got under my skin a bit ,,,so its a keeper and it will be my LAST car ... You all know my love of SS cars so it will be no surprise to hear thats the way its going...But i am going to make it full NHRA legal ,,so with a bit of luck i will being heading to Sweden with it at some point in the future,,,god willing.....I have been warned by people in the know that this is going to cost a fortune so i have given myself three years to build it right.... So the springs will be going back to the stock position,a dana has been priced and the spec is being debated, The cage will be built buy the best and made from the lightest tube known to man....I am not aware of any other NHRA legal moper in the uk so hopefully it will be a first....Engine at this stage will be money dependant ,i have three to choose from for the model year...426 Hemi ,,,yea that will be a no from the of ,,,,426 Cross Wedge mmmmaybe need to buy a new block for this,, heads still made,, carter carbs ... .......last of all 383 this will be the cheepest route...So there you have it as soon as it starts i will post a thousand photos ... I will be calling on the sages on here from some advise over the coming eerrr years :thumbright:
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
Guy

Post by Guy »

Good for you Pete, follow your dream mate
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Go for it Pete !
Look forward to the progress on this one.
Lets hope they don't start changing rules during your build !
:thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Rogue Trooper

Post by Rogue Trooper »

8-)
I for one can't wait Pete for the progress pics of the build :thumbright:
1970 Charger 500
1934 Coupe
1954 F100
1972 Norton Commando Fastback

Your Mum Says Hi.

Mopar a God amongst insects.

Rule in Hell or be a Slave in Heaven.
Blue

Post by Blue »

I thought NHRA super stock cars had a tubular back half frame under the stock floor with a 4 link and big tyres these days? I agree they are very expensive cars to build if you want to be competitive.
Attachments
HonkinHemi.JPG
HonkinHemi.JPG (69.94 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Blue its the old class question again... its power to weight determines the class.... I plan on being stock ie seats etc , so that should give me a weight of about 3400,,,3600lbs....if i decide on a max wedge with that weight i would be trying to run say 10.80ish,,,,,If i roll up with a hemi ,no back seats back halfed with a weight of 3000lbs then i am in lot quicker class , and then it hurts your wallet even more ...So when the weather breaks, it will be of to get weighed as is ...Then fit new axle with slicks cage lighter seats then weight again,,,see what we come in at if its heavier than the factory shipping weight ,which is the class i am aiming for then its loose weight time until i hit the shipping weight..... I have spoken to the people who i am entrusting this car to and they are up for the challenge ,,,,, , when its done it should hopefully look something like this
Attachments
1536535_570890286327416_1112461207_n.jpg
1536535_570890286327416_1112461207_n.jpg (22.07 KiB) Viewed 1341 times
Blue

Post by Blue »

So it's stock rather than super stock? That silver car is running A stock Automatic, the red one is in Super Stock B.
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

My guru and mentor..... :thumbright:
Attachments
379351_352877588151770_79215321_n.jpg
379351_352877588151770_79215321_n.jpg (64.06 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Blue it all comes under one set of rules ,,sort of. I am building for Stock automatic,,,,Which is the most popular class as its easy to return cars to street ...and you do not have to butcher them..The more you take out of the car and make it more like a shed the further up the classes you will go ...SS,AH is possibly in some eyes as far as you can go .but its all coming under one set of rules that determine your class...Take your car ,stroker tubbed ..i think that would put it in a class that is called GT ...so you index would be i am guessing an 8 to quick 9 second class ,,,,,so you would be on a loser from the off unless you tip more money in ,,,,so you would have mare than likely picked a class were you would have a chance ie no tubs 340 moter ..11 sec class maybe and you would be in with a shout ,, Its complicated and i am not sure i have got it right yet.....But all these cars race each other so the dial in evens you all out ...
Pete

Post by Pete »

That Red car is as back-halved as a back-halved car can be.... ;) Nowt "Stock" about that puppy.....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
db

Post by db »

Nice one Pete!
I'll be very interesting to see this build through, and then to see if it performs as expected ;)
Best of luck.
No-one will believe you...
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Great to see another plan coming together.

Is the idea to keep it on the road/track during the build or will you litteraly build over three years and have it off the road!

This is gonna be a belter!!!! :twisted: :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

[quote=".But all these cars race each other so the dial in evens you all out ...[/quote]

It does Pete, but you better be able to run under your index by up to a second to be competitive, as most of the other cars probably will!!

Les
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Les Szabo wrote:[quote=".But all these cars race each other so the dial in evens you all out ...
It does Pete, but you better be able to run under your index by up to a second to be competitive, as most of the other cars probably will!!

Les[/quote]

Thats the challenge Lez,,,,, no strokers ,Carter carbs , .. Gonna need big compression,a mad cam and a small verter,,,,,Sixty foots will have to be quick and the moter will have to rev to Bananarama! ....Thats why the good Mopar stockers stateside go for the small block cars and the 383.....383 would bring me into a lower index but it would still have to make 600hp plus and be able to rev of the clock...but the engine can wait lots of welding and stuff first the old 440 thats in it will get pulled and freshened and the will carry me on untill the chassis is sorted ...Bracing ,torque boxes and all sorts of stuff going into that alone
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Yep, now your gonna find out what real racing is all about, hone them RT's...I'm not up on all the Stock rules...but are you allowed "big" cams" and mega CR?.....383 sounds to be the best package then? So you need to be 3350lbs + a 600hp 383? = 10.3's...would that be a second under the index?.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/60917/10002/-1 :thumbright:

Les