who are ya???

Moderator: Moderators

pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Les Szabo wrote:I doubt it, but you don't need iron heads for Stock class, Eddy do NHRA cert Ally heads, I think I gave you the link in an earlier post, this is of course if its for your own car?...

Les

Ali heads are legal Lez,, but it puts you in a tuffer index..... Just poking about for info ...Its surprising the wealth of info that is on this forum regarding this kind of stuff....
Jesus saves but satan does that thing with his tongue you like
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

pete walton wrote:Do you know what casting they was??? ,,,906 etc
mostly 906 but i think 452,s later as 906 became scarce stateside, hauser mostly worked or had worked 452,s
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Cannonball wrote:
Les Szabo wrote:
Cannonball wrote: there was a yellow later dart that ran better than a 9.90 with a iron headed 440 think the heads were by ice,?????
Wouldn't suprise me Dunc, Rob is as good, if not better than Geoff on heads......

Les
your right les the koffel mtr in bills cuda / slipstream ran at best a 10.1 mostly 10,2s the car changed hands had blinkin Bananarama! thrown at it ultimately ran about a 8,6 with lots of gas 500 cubes ally heads the koffel iron head may just have dibbed a 9 prior but yes it was revved to Bananarama!, i nearly bought that slip stream car knew bill through the jensen connection,

yes the yellow dart really was about as lihgt as you could get it i forget the blinkin name on the sides now, mopar mark will know ,

your 10.7 no gas seems more credibal than your actual nitrous pass that would be pretty impressive even now from a straight up 440........
Well perhaps? depends on how you look at it, It was just starting to get interesting for me with that 10.7, but unfortunately other commitments in life stopped me from continuing the On Motor only approach which is really what I always preferred to do, so I just hit with some gas to achieve what I wanted, but you still gotta have the chassis to cope with all that +hp.

But I did hatch a plan and that was...go to much much lighter rods/pistons, the 6-pack stuff weighed a TON, would've upped it to at least 12:1CR to suit the .650" cam which would've then worked a lot better, a 1050 Dommy over the puny 850 I had, there was hole bunch of extra hp. The 906 heads from Hauser were ok with big valves, but I don't know how much more cfm flow I could've got from them, never had them flowed, I don't think he did a mega port job on them, they were done for Dinger!!...so with all that in there, a few changes to the chassis, I reckon a 10.4 or even a 3 was in it on motor, and a subsequent 9.4 with gas.

However, all this is almost irrelevant, as I never did it, so we'll never know, but I doubt if those heads would ever have got me in the 9's on motor in a 3000lbs car....you need at least 320cfm heads for that, and 906's/452's are way off that figure, more like 290 if your lucky.

Les
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

I have been doing my homework on the chassis mods that go into these Stockers .....There is a lot of beefing up in certain places ,torque boxes etc ...The cage ,believe it or not is a critical component in the whole scheme ,,,well thats what i have read and been told ....If you look at the times they make 1.44 60fts from a 383 in a full weight car is :shock: But the top speeds are not anything to shout about...It seems that the work is done on the line....more :read2: is needed,,,Someone who races a stocker has told me ,,,you have to make it think its a tube chassis car .....whatever that means
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

You have to make the car as rigid as possible, a full tube car is just that, you have to stop as much flex as possible in your chassis, hence the extra boxes and cage work to tie it all in as much as poss so that when you apply the power it translates into as much forward motion as possible, thats how to get max 60ft's, and thats how you win races....full stop!

A full tube car will rarely pull huge wheelies which is something you DONT want, no matter how good it looks, that will slow your 60's......your there to win races now, not show off, however its harder to stop that with a normal stocker. TS is not particularly important, its only an indicator of how much HP you have in a given weight car and how good your chassis is, or worked on that particular run.

Your old car may have run a 10.65 at 129, in fact a 129 mph TS should be a 10.1, so you got 1/2 sec in the chassis....I ran 10.7 at only 125 with a 1.46 60ft...thats why those stockers don't mph much, the harder you hook, the faster your 60ft and the further you go in less time covering the distance quicker making it essentially shorter hence you won't get your speed up so much.....all good stuff eh?

Les
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Les Szabo wrote:You have to make the car as rigid as possible, a full tube car is just that, you have to stop as much flex as possible in your chassis, hence the extra boxes and cage work to tie it all in as much as poss so that when you apply the power it translates into as much forward motion as possible, thats how to get max 60ft's, and thats how you win races....full stop!

A full tube car will rarely pull huge wheelies which is something you DONT want, no matter how good it looks, that will slow your 60's......your there to win races now, not show off, however its harder to stop that with a normal stocker. TS is not particularly important, its only an indicator of how much HP you have in a given weight car and how good your chassis is, or worked on that particular run.

Your old car may have run a 10.65 at 129, in fact a 129 mph TS should be a 10.1, so you got 1/2 sec in the chassis....I ran 10.7 at only 125 with a 1.46 60ft...thats why those stockers don't mph much, the harder you hook, the faster your 60ft and the further you go in less time covering the distance quicker making it essentially shorter hence you won't get your speed up so much.....all good stuff eh?

Les
great info lez keep it coming,, your bloody wasted with that hot rod wheel chair you bum around in now, ;) :lol:
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

I HAVE A NVQW

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

:D
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Les Szabo wrote::D
;) :lol: :D
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

I HAVE A NVQW

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Mick

Post by Mick »

Are you thinking of Paul Watson's Grumpys Dodge Duncan. that was,is yellow.
A guy i buy gaskets from, has ran very low 10's with 906 heads in a 3200# 440 Barracuda, he has 5500 stall and the heads flow 300 cfm on the intakes with 2.14 valves.
I dont know about the scandinavian stockers but the american ones are full of tricks.
Good thread. :thumbright:
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Mick wrote:Are you thinking of Paul Watson's Grumpys Dodge Duncan. that was,is yellow.
A guy i buy gaskets from, has ran very low 10's with 906 heads in a 3200# 440 Barracuda, he has 5500 stall and the heads flow 300 cfm on the intakes with 2.14 valves.
I dont know about the scandinavian stockers but the american ones are full of tricks.
Good thread. :thumbright:
yep thats the one grumpys dodge back in mid 90,s that was,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

I HAVE A NVQW

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
GTXJim

Post by GTXJim »

My mate John bought the motor that was in grumps dodge, it was the ice motor developed by Rob Loaring think it run 9.7s, the heads were very trick raised port with Ally inserts, One head was totally knackered so John made a copy, took him ages and he was an engineer, the koffel heads were 452 castings skimmed and with the port floor raised about 3/8" with resin, and the port ceiling had broken into the oil valley and was repaired with resin, most I had seen were cracked around the centre exhaust ports they were mainly used on 400 blocks with a 440 inlet manifold on, as soon as Ally heads came out they were old hat.
Petrol is for washing parts, Alcohol is for drinking, Nitro is for racing!!!

Hell Yeah!! I'm a Redneck
pete walton

Post by pete walton »

Les Szabo wrote:You have to make the car as rigid as possible, a full tube car is just that, you have to stop as much flex as possible in your chassis, hence the extra boxes and cage work to tie it all in as much as poss so that when you apply the power it translates into as much forward motion as possible, thats how to get max 60ft's, and thats how you win races....full stop!

Les

Thanks Lez ,as ever good solid info and written in a way a thicko like me can understand....You need to get a car mate stoclers are coming back BIG STYLE,,,,,PS did you know you are not allowed any tubes foward of the bulkhead
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Yes Pete, front end has to be orig I beleive, whether you can change the front A-arms to tube type with joints I don't know, prob not.

Actually thinking about it, most Stockers WILL run quicker 60ft's with the car high in the air to get it on the rear tyres hard with the limited hp and 6000+ converters and 5.13+ gears, going up is really a waste of energy but you'll just have to suck it and see how yours reacts with your settings mate and whether it will run faster in the 60 up in the air, keeping it down could slow it as much as 1/10th?, be ready to build an 8000rpm bottom end if your 383....This is one car I want to see run for sure, ....:thumbright: ..shame its gonna take so long.

LEs
Mick

Post by Mick »

Grumpy's Dodge is somewhere around 2700#, so pretty damn light. I think a wheelie is ok provided it's not on the back bumper. Not a stocker but here's a 383 roadrunner that runs good, it's got a turbo 400 behind it.
9.8 1/4 mile on motor, shifts at 8200
Mick

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j& ... 5948,d.bGQ
mopar_mark

Post by mopar_mark »

Mick wrote:here's a 383 roadrunner that runs good, it's got a turbo 400 behind it.
I wondered if that is a Hutch transmission car ?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."