Its Gonna Take a Real Boffin to Answer this One

Moderator: Moderators

Anonymous

Its Gonna Take a Real Boffin to Answer this One

Post by Anonymous »

A good freind of mine came to me for some advice, which there is no way I can answer. Its about an engine transplant.

He has a Jeep CJ7 with a 2.5 litre petrol lump.

He wants a good mopar V8, and is thinking big block.

He originally asked what was involved in getting a 400cui engine in there, mainly because the Jeep Wagoneer uses one and he thought it would be a relatively straight swap.

I suggested the 383 route as they seem to be pretty plentiful and resonably cheap to buy. So the questions are,

1.) Will a 383 go in physically, without much more than engine mount swaps.
2.) Is it possible to get an adapter plate or bell housing so the 383 will go onto a stock CJ7 box?

I dont hink money is a primary issue, but at this stage, he wants to know if 383 into 7 will go.

Chars
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Clive the CJ7 came with a V8 anyway so it's all available, from memory it was a 360ci though, if he want's to fit a 360 it's all of the shelf stuff.

One other thing no V8 is going to work in front of the stock 2.5 box and transfer case, they won't last 2 minutes.

edit number 2

come to think of it I used to have an american off road mag and I remember a CJ7 with a 440 in it, now obviously this ain't no weekend job but it can be done with the right stuff
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

If it is 4WD you will have trouble keeping it that way wit a 383/400 engine swap. Best (safest) bet is to go 2WD and use a 727 that works with the engine. Cable shifter takes care of any problems with linkages and the prop will need to be made shorter. Exhaust system is usually the toughest thing to sort out on swaps like this.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Well, the current spec is:
Engine: GM 151cui 14(?) 2.5ltr.
Gearbox: SR4 Ford
Transfer box: Dana 300
Rear Axle: AMC 20
Front Axle: Dana 30

I know you could get renegade V8's but he keeps talking about using a Chrysler T18 bx for some reason (never heard of that) that was used behind some engine or another on a CJ7 between 1972 - 79. I think his big prob is going to be getting an engine and box that fits of the size he wants. I agree Dave, keeping 4x4 is going to be tough.

He doesnt want much weight over the front end so that limits things a little more.

Will's suggestion of the off-the-shelf 360 stuff seems the way ahead.

I have been told that the renegade could be had with a 904 box but the guy seems hung up on the T18.

Personally I would go for a 440+6. But then I can be a bit silly over things like that. :lol:
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

The 360 deal is just bolt in and 4x4, but those axles ain't going to last either.

The cheaper option is to buy a proper V8 CJ7 as about the only thing he will be left with after a proper conversion is the body and frame
Dave-R

Post by Dave-R »

You used to be able to get V8 Jeeps real cheap at one time. Almost my very first car because of that.
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

There's a uk offroad mag, maybe something 4x4 and off road that usually has jeeps for sale and the V8's aren't that bad compared to the cost of sticking a V8 in a 2.5
Holly

Post by Holly »

Jeep World used to advertise in Connected, someone near here is involved with it and has a V8 CJ7.

The T18 sounds familiar, is it a Chrysler trans built for taking a specific transfer case or something?

The Dana30 isn't up to alot (though was used for the AWD '80s Daytonas), havn't heard of an AMC20, was that used on the Eagle AWD station wagons or something?
TrevD

Post by TrevD »

a mate of mine owns a company that does nothing but jeeps , he has even been involved with daimler chrysler on some of the latest stuff for promotional work , if it can be done he will know how . he is a verry knowledgable bloke and is probably wort talking to .
email him at racing@fte.co.uk
hisa name is steve and tell him i sent you .