Bad Luck for Mopar Racers at Easter Meet

Moderator: Moderators

Pete

Post by Pete »

Good news Dave, sounds like a narrow escape....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Mick

Post by Mick »

Sorry to hear that Dave, i know it's racing but it's never nice to break stuff.
Mick
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

DaveB wrote:I went to York raceway Saturday night,set off at 8pm,35 minutes later,sat on a roundabout with a broken U/J on the motorhome,with trailer & superbird.
Called my old fella,he came out,I pulled off propshaft,left the wife in motorhome whilst I returned home to try fix prop.
Didnt have a U/J,so called a mate,unbelievably,he had one.
Returned to motorhome,refit prop,on my way again,arrived at midnight :roll:

First run on Sunday,did burnout,got stopped for leaking oil,just a rocker cover gasket,so fixed it.
Second run,nice wheelie,no drama,9.49 into a head wind,called it a day.

First Qualifier on Monday,dialled 9.45,ran 9.49 still a head wind,jobs a good un.
Second Qualifier,running Good,100ft from traps,oil light comes on at 6500rpm,I kill engine straight away,roll off track :roll:

I pull dizzy out,oil pump drive as sheard off,game over,load up,get home.

Today,remove broken oil pump drive with magnet,put priming tool in pump,pump solid,remove pump and strip,find a piece of broken spira-lock in it :roll:,remove nose cone,pull out engine,remove sump,make a list of parts required,and ordered them :roll:

No one said"Racin is easy" :lol: :lol: :lol:

9.49 in a bird?....gotta be making 900hp+?, on motor?, stroker?.....sounds interesting.....

Les
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Dynoed at 857hp,580ci,runs on pump gas,weighs in at 3260lbs with me in it,best ET 9.36@148,best 60ft 1.39.
Thanks for best wishes guys :thumbright:
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

DaveB wrote:Dynoed at 857hp,580ci,runs on pump gas,weighs in at 3260lbs with me in it,best ET 9.36@148,best 60ft 1.39.
Thanks for best wishes guys :thumbright:
Nice one Dave, thats something to see, thought weight had to come into it somewhere......oh and it wouldn't be me if I didn't say there's about 2/10ths in your chassis somewhere, and a bit from your 60ft, if you can find it, mph slightly up cos of it,......hope it fixes ok and not too much $$$$.....8 sec car with a bit more comp in it :thumbright: ......tempting perhaps to put a small 100shot on it :lol:

Les
terryr

Post by terryr »

pete walton wrote:Engine damage,,,bits on the outside,, that should be on the inside at the finish line....Shame,, he really looks after that car ...Used to be Websters car at one time i believe...
it used to live round the corner to me owned by a guy called mark ,john done a lot of work on it and then took it on a trade in on his mustang I think ,mark used to come on here as perks ,think he still has his mustang and he also has a fiftys mopar with modern running gear
db

Post by db »

Sounds an eventful weekend for all the wrong reasons :(
Thanks for the report Les and best of luck with repairs you guys!
No-one will believe you...
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Yes not the best reporting but I'm sure the guys will sort something out and be back with a vengeance.

Hows the motor coming along Paul?.......gonna give it another go at the Nats?....or is that you done with it all?

Les
db

Post by db »

I've rounded up all the bits Les but the house has taken over lately- lots of extending, knocking walls down etc.
Hopefully I'll get on the motor and get the body painted in the next few weeks but I won't have the funds to race it this year.

No, I'm not done mate... just biding my time ;)
No-one will believe you...