drag racer from the 80's

Moderator: Moderators

Mick

drag racer from the 80's

Post by Mick »

Some of the older racers might remember this guy I spoke to at a local car meet yesterday. His name was Chris and he raced a Capri with a 302. I remember seeing the car at the international doorslammers. He went on to tell me that it ran 10.0 at 146 mph with a stock stroke, ported stock heads, a solid cam, car weighed 2860#. I said he would need in excess of 700 hp to run that speed, he said it was dyno'd at 780 hp, this is all on the motor. I call BS on this, i reckon he'd be lucky to see more than 500 and that the block wouldn't stay together much above that.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Kenny at EDA builds small ford all the time for the historics,stock heads etc,500hp tops for a 289,cost in excess of £40k

302 block only good for 450hp,then it breaks in two :lol:

Read....Older I get,the faster I was. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

The only capri I remember from the 80's worth anything at all was a blue capri, driven by a tall guy, don't remember his name but a friendly guy, that car was quite quick for what it was but don't think it ran anywhere near 10.0, and especially not at 146 which would be like 9.2 or 3's......780hp from an N/A 302 errrrrr yes well :) ....but he did squirt N20 :lol:
steveo

Post by steveo »

I remember a skyblue MK 1 capri at the pod in the 80s early 90s , had a 302 & think 351 clevland heads were altered or the block was altered to fit them , or ive remembered it wrong & it was a straight bolt on deal :? think it was in street machine at the time too
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

this one here......

1.17>1.29

did go quite well though!

he was the main guy that helped me fix the split in my bonnet when it came up going through the traps at the doorslammers.
steveo

Post by steveo »

Les Szabo wrote:this one here......

1.17>1.29

did go quite well though!

he was the main guy that helped me fix the split in my bonnet when it came up going through the traps at the doorslammers.
:thumbright: 8-)

wow that's a flash back ! i was at that advent !! , that's the capri I mentioned in my above post !! sure it run down in the 10s
Mick

Post by Mick »

That's the one and yes he is very tall, it looks relatively quick on the vid. I was spectating at that meeting, Jeff Manni won in the pied piper and Rob off here was running his Demon. That grey Malibu was awesome.
This Chris was quite smug about his car, like it was the quickest thing on four wheels but didn't give any specs out, you'd think he was giving away trade secrets or something.
I dont doubt it may have run well into the 10's but 780 hp on that setup is dreamland and he said he didn't use gas.
Mick
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

Was running then myself....yes Jeff won with a 9.5 or 6 I think with some squirt, was a bit lucky really as a lot of the quick cars had broke and there weren't many swedes there either but £1000 in the bin. The whole event was a farce really with anything and everything heads up but it was enjoyable, especially the night racing....blue will remember that.

Wonder if the yarn would've still been the same if he knew what car you run Mick?
Mick

Post by Mick »

The guy stood with him was a friend of mine and soon as i walked up to him he asked how quick my car had ran and then stated the other guy was an ex racer. This Chris seemed quite full of himself because his small block Ford was quicker than my mopar big block. Personally, I dont know what it is about people and brand loyalty that they have to sneer at other people. I like mopars best but i appreciate a good running car no matter what it is.
Mick
GTXJim

Post by GTXJim »

I remember racing against this fella back in 88/89, I beat him on a holshot one time when his car was 3/10ths quicker than me, so he was running around 12.5s, but he used to dip into the 10's with Nos pretty sure he had a 302 with Cleveland heads.
Petrol is for washing parts, Alcohol is for drinking, Nitro is for racing!!!

Hell Yeah!! I'm a Redneck
Mick

Post by Mick »

Jim he made 780 hp on nothing more than 120 octane BS.
Mick :thumbright:
Les Szabo

Post by Les Szabo »

GTXJim wrote:I remember racing against this fella back in 88/89, I beat him on a holshot one time when his car was 3/10ths quicker than me, so he was running around 12.5s, but he used to dip into the 10's with Nos pretty sure he had a 302 with Cleveland heads.
didn't know you was an old school racer Jim, good memories from those days, what were you running then high 12's? with the same car?.....don't remember it really.....

he must've been putting a lot of squirt in that to go in the 10's from 12.5, mind you he was light, 10.7 in 2860lbs = 450hp, doable...... I only managed an 11.01 with a 250hp shot from 12.4's,
GTXJim

Post by GTXJim »

Yes Les, I did all 8 rounds of the Wynn's Pro Street challenge back in 88 in a 1970 GTX that was in primer grey, drove it there and back, 440 with 3.23 gears run 12.8s changed gears to 4:30 with slicks ran 12.1.

Pete

Post by Pete »

You really can't beat a set of mental rear gears for instant results!! ;)
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
GTXJim

Post by GTXJim »

Picture
Attachments
reedy.jpg
reedy.jpg (110.03 KiB) Viewed 1762 times