Damsel in distress - starting problems

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

SammyH770

Damsel in distress - starting problems

Post by SammyH770 »

Hi

I've not been on here for a while! I am having problems with my '72 Charger VH 770 (318 V8 Fireball) it won't start unless the starter solenoid is whacked with a hammer so I am guessing I need a new one. Money is very tight so I want to make sure I get the right replacement, can anyone help please?

I've attached a pic of it.

Many thanks :lol: [/img]
Attachments
Starter thingy.jpg
Starter thingy.jpg (165.05 KiB) Viewed 542 times
Keep your kittens and handbags and gimme a V8 any day ☺
MilesnMiles

Post by MilesnMiles »

Sammy, probably best to post this under 'Engine, electrics etc..' as some members wont scan the 'Aussie section'
SammyH770

Post by SammyH770 »

Ok, thanks for that :-)
Keep your kittens and handbags and gimme a V8 any day ☺
CLPete

Post by CLPete »

Hi Sammy, as it so happens, I've been having the same issue with my VE VIP. Minty (a member on here) very kindly sorted me with a used spare one from his Charger - but as luck would have it (or not) for me, the starter motor was changed at some point between the VE & the VH.

It's sadly not the same and so I've put it on the shelf.

It's currently in Warwick, so if it turns out the to be the same type, you are welcome to it.

It does work - just the the teeth don't extend far enough for the flywheel on my car.

I'll be in the office tommorrow so I'll take some photos myself of the wire connections and the teeth for you to check.
1968 VE Valiant VIP (on road)
1972 CH Chrysler by Chrysler ("project")
1969 VF Valiant VIP (best called "spares")
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

a starter that worked on mintys 318 motor/flywheel will work on sammys

its a Bosch starter with 9 or 10 teeth on the pinion can't remebr which

but basically its a starter designed to fit next to a 318 on a 904 trans with a standard 318 flywheel

90% sure any mopar small block starter would work.

sure its the starter solenoid?
might be the starter itself?

or could just be the wireing and earth strap from engine to body. undo clean up and do up again very tight

do the same to the battery clamps if you have (Pinch) bolt-on-to-the wire battery clamps.

the solenoids can be dismantled and cleaned up.
motor looks oily. if that just on the outside fine... if its oily on the inside thats why it stopped

oil and graphite make a paste that fills all the gaps in the commutator of the motor and shorts it all out.

again taking it apart and cleaning out the segments in the coppery brass bit with a thin blade works.

i'll have a look I think i have a rusty old hemi 6 one that could have a decent solenoid wrong tooth count for the flyhweel mind on the motor.

solenoid does two things

pulls a lever that flings the pinion into mesh and also pushes some contacts together to start the starter motor

if you don't have enough juice it doesn't fling far enough and the contacts don't close

or it flings but the contacts are dirty so don't start the starter

OR

your igntion switch is buggered and its not sending 12 volts down the little wire to trigger the starter.

OR

do you have a neutral safety switch.....if so does it think you are in drive/gear when you are not hence is stopping the 12v signal from the igntion switch triggering the starter solenoid

dave
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying