Master Cylinder (VG VIP)

For Australian cars, Mopar or other.

Moderator: Moderators

Muckyay

Master Cylinder (VG VIP)

Post by Muckyay »

Hello there, I am the new(ish) owner of steves VG VIP from the club, ive recently tidied a few bits up on the old val and rebuilt the old back drum brakes. When doing this i found that i had a leaky master cylinder and was wondering if anyone had any advice on the best place to get a rebuild kit? Cheers! :help:
Attachments
valiant 5.jpg
valiant 5.jpg (122.64 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
valiant 4.jpg
valiant 4.jpg (115.07 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Valiant 1.jpg
Valiant 1.jpg (140.89 KiB) Viewed 1156 times
Mossy68

Post by Mossy68 »

Welcome. Glad to see the car has remained in the club , and we have gained a new member.
Would be good to know a bit about you and where you are ( always handy if you have a member near by !)
I'm sure the Oz experts will be along to help with your search for parts.

Enjoy your new Mopar. :thumbright:
It's all about Smiles per gallon !!!
68 Coronet sedan 500 4 door
Dodge Ram SRT 10
MMA-013
Pete

Post by Pete »

Welcome!

USAutomotive is always worth an ask....
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Muckyay

Post by Muckyay »

Gday there mate. My names Richard and Im originally from NZ, living in the south west at the minute and bought the val off ebay start of the year. Had valiants in NZ previously and my brother currently owns a VH 318 wagon back home. Have tidied a few bits on the old girl and chucked some 15x8s on her. Just need to sort out the brake issue now!
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

VG will have a cast iron dual circuit master with a flat lid 1 bolt and a double hold down bracket if its manual brakes

not sure if boosted

any 4 bolt or 2 bolt master will fit with appropriate adaptor but if you want a kit your best bet will be Sunbury brakes in Oz
Pentastar parts and restorations in Oz

so you can keep the master cylinder body with the pipes coming out on the correct sides

obviously its a US master cylinder copy built for RHD

and your car if it has disk front will have brakes the same as a 66 mustang

i.e

front a Kelsey Hayse 1 piston, pin and bush, sliders

and rear will be Lockheed duo servo 9 inch drums with either 2 or 2.5 inch shoes which are the same as early 60s US valiant .

You may have VJ and later Girlock front calipers in which case they are GIRLING/Lockheed GIRLOCKS

this is a bracket and head slider. the single pot caliper just sits on the sliding face of the bracket and is held on with flat sprung plates and special thin head bolts.

these would be an upgrade

they work with the VG VH early VJ master or the later aluminium PBR master cylinder.
The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
Dave999

Post by Dave999 »

The Greater Knapweed near the Mugwort by the Buckthorn tree is dying
aussie pete

Post by aussie pete »

Hi and welcome,...before you purchase a rebuild kit make sure that your master cylinder is serviceable,....as stated these are cast iron and can corrode in the bore (causing pitting) if that has happened a rebuild kit will not work. You have several options
1/ replace master cylinder with a different type ( do some research on bore and stroke dimensions)
2/try to find an engineering company that can machine it out to a size that will take an alternative seal( you will then need 2 seal kits ,.one fore the new bore diameter and one for the rest (original)
3/Purchase a reconditioned one from penta star spares in Australia , but dig deep for that option as they are on an exchange basis, so you pay the purchase price + exchange surcharge + postage ( remember it is heavy cast iron) + customs duty
Good luck
Ps if need a rebuild kit I have one , can post to you (£30)
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Welcome to the club! :hello2:

Looks great on the new wheels! :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Muckyay

Post by Muckyay »

Cheers guys thanks for the advice, I think the original master cylinder should be ok with a rebuild kit so if you have a rebuild kit for the VG Aussie pete that would be awesome. If you want to PM me we can swap details and il transfer the money to you? I did see the reconditioned units on a few sites but they are fairly pricey especially when chucking postage on top! Thanks guys
Steve

Post by Steve »

Welcome Richard and a great car. Saw it when Steve owned it and loved it. You have really brought her back to her former glory! Steve was busy with lots of projects and I know he will be very pleased with the work you have done.

I love that met green colour...really works on your car :thumbright:

Cheers Steve :thumbright:
Bat Girl Stalker Living Petes Dream