TV memorabilia stuff and 70s toys

An area to discuss model cars and kit building and to show off your own model collections.

Moderator: Moderators

MattH

TV memorabilia stuff and 70s toys

Post by MattH »

So as not to steal Danny Dukes museum thread too much, seeing the pics got me thinking about some of my old toys.

Does anyone remember Airfix Flight Deck and Super Flight Deck?

Never been able to find one but there are now three on ebay!

I've also just won a Scalecraft Cessna seaplane. It was easier than going in the loft to see if I still have my original one (I dont think I do).
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
morgan

Post by morgan »

I had a super flight deck. My dad got it from the second-hand section at the back of our local toy shop I seem to remember. It went from one end of our house to the other, little plane on a nylon chord. I think we used it about twice then it became a toy aircraft carrier for my matchbox cars. :)

Toy that sticks in my mind was something a friend of mine had. Cant remember what it was called at all, but it was essentially a model helicopter on a bendy wire arm, mounted on a central pivot. You could remote control the thing to fly round its circle picking up plastic barrels. It was like magic at the time.

Anyone remember these ?
Attachments
steer.jpg
steer.jpg (97.55 KiB) Viewed 3341 times
"Cum homine de cane debeo congredi." Woof.

Current Charger status - "Working !"
RobTwin

Post by RobTwin »

Nice carpet you got there Morgan! ;)
Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

Steer'N'Go!
I had one of them ;)
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda
morgan

Post by morgan »

RobTwin wrote:Nice carpet you got there Morgan! ;)
Shag-pile. Deep enough for 2. Plus it makes your hair stick to the ceiling...

Blue

Post by Blue »

My parents loft was like a time capsule, I never smashed stuff up as a kid and they never threw anything away so most of my childhood was up there. I had to clear the house when they died and going through stuff I hadn't seen for 40 years and didn't even know was there was a very odd experience. I sold off everything, there was very little I actually wanted to hang on to, I can appreciate it but I don't need loads of "stuff" in my life.
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MattH

Post by MattH »

I like your way of thinking Blue. I have lots of "stuff" but sometimes just a picture of it is enough to keep the memories, and takes up alot less space.
I want to go through my loft this Spring, it is full!
Cannonball

Post by Cannonball »

Is there ever a smell that remonds you of your youth ???? toys etc not pu33y, i dont know what the smell would have been at all but i can smell a raleigh chopper crazy i know, i dont even think they have a smell but certainly seems to trigger something with me,,,,
www.dwatts80.fsnet.co.uk

WATTS RACING TRANSMISSIONS, CLOBBER THE COMPETITION ITS CLOBBERIN TIME

OFTEN OUTNUMBERED NEVER OUTGUNNED,

HEY WHATS THE TOP END ON THAT SUPERSPORTS. UNLIMITED,

I HAVE A NVQW

LIFE GOES PRETTY FAST, IF YOU DONT LOOK ROUND A WHILE YOU MAY JUST MISS IT,

THE PASS IS THE JUICE,

LOVED BY FEW,
HATED BY MANY
RESPECTED BY ALL
Super Sloth

Post by Super Sloth »

Cannonball wrote:Is there ever a smell that remonds you of your youth ???? toys etc not pu33y, i dont know what the smell would have been at all but i can smell a raleigh chopper crazy i know, i dont even think they have a smell but certainly seems to trigger something with me,,,,
Absolutely know what you mean.
I lived with my grandparents when I was a kid... they raised me whilst my mum was out working stupid hours as a veterinary nurse. My Grandma taught me how to run a house and my Grandad taught me how to look after cars and what it meant to be a man I guess. When I was clearing their house after they had both gone I found my grandma's old recipe book. Every now and again I like to go on a little nostalgia trip and knock up her Lamb stew and dumplings.
Seems a bit daft now, but I remember being 4 years old and feeling proud as punch that it was *my* responsibility to peel the carrots beforehand and I was chief gravy taster during the cooking...
My reward? Half a schooner of sherry. BUT I was on strict instructions NEVER to tell my mother! I’m still keeping the secret 25 years on too! :-$
-Jon.
Dave81

Post by Dave81 »

Cannonball wrote:Is there ever a smell that remonds you of your youth ???? toys etc not pu33y, i dont know what the smell would have been at all but i can smell a raleigh chopper crazy i know, i dont even think they have a smell but certainly seems to trigger something with me,,,,
Not toy related, but me ole grandads shed. He used to work with wood, so always a mixture of wood, turps and creosote. He died in 2008 and me and the wife bought the house.

4 years later the asbestos shed had to go. I'd emptied it two years earlier of all contents.
Walked into it the morning of removal.........wood, turps and creosote still filled the air.

Reminds me of Sunday mornings as as kid back in the 80s, whenever I smell it.... :thumbright:
Dave Tildesley.....MMA-081
72 Dodge Dart
73 Plymouth Duster - SOLD

I wanna go so FAST i think i'm going to DIE!..........Then i'll shift into second!

"My Car is a work in progress, Probably never gonna get finished, never gonna have the money to Bananarama!!"
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

morgan wrote:Toy that sticks in my mind was something a friend of mine had. Cant remember what it was called at all, but it was essentially a model helicopter on a bendy wire arm, mounted on a central pivot. You could remote control the thing to fly round its circle picking up plastic barrels. It was like magic at the time.
I had one of those. It was the Mattel Vertibird :thumbright:
All we are is rust in the wind
MattH

Post by MattH »

Its the smell when you open an Airfix kit. :thumbright:
Always used to take one to my grandmas to build on a Sunday when we went for dinner.

And the smell of lime Opal Fruits :shock:
MattH

Post by MattH »

And who remembers Stock car Smash Ups?
morgan

Post by morgan »

MattH wrote:And who remembers Stock car Smash Ups?
Yep. I do now. I had them. A red one and a blue one with body panels that fly off. You inserted a rip chord, pulled hard and let them smash into each other (or anything else).

Is that the thing?

Adrian Worman

Post by Adrian Worman »

MattH wrote:And who remembers Stock car Smash Ups?
Remember them?

I'm still playin with mine :D

Herman Bananarama! it up tho he just can't leave it :roll:
Jesus built my hot rod

72 Challenger
65 Barracuda