Flippin' the flippin' lights !!!

Moderator: Moderators

Garp

Flippin' the flippin' lights !!!

Post by Garp »

Having bought a full set of rear lights 'n' lenses recently, and considering that my reverse lights don't function at all (bulbs are fine), I'm guessing that together with the install, I'd turn my reverse lenses into indicators with amber bulbs.
I've heard s been done and is a requirement for MOT if you don't "have a guy".......
In layman's terms, and slowly, could someone talk me through splitting the brake/indicator red lights on my "Chally" and diverting the indicator signal to my reverse lights where I will install amber bulbs and just forego having reverse lights .......
If there were two bulbs in there I wouldn't be asking, but the double filament thing has got me puzzled ????
Thanks chaps and Chappeseseses
Aerodynamics are for people who can�t build engines
Pete

Post by Pete »

You have to run a new Brake wire from the brake switch under the brake pedal to the rear of the car, you cannot just splice the wires.

I am not sure if there are diagrams of how to do it in the electrical section on th board.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Garp

Post by Garp »

Pete wrote:You have to run a new Brake wire from the brake switch under the brake pedal to the rear of the car, you cannot just splice the wires.

I am not sure if there are diagrams of how to do it in the electrical section on th board.
I disconnect the existing one and dead-end it with a sleeve, run another wire to current brake light connection
- then take existing (old) wire (which will house "dead" brake wire), connect to reverse light terminal and replace bulb with amber ..... ???
Would that do it ?
Hadn't thought about adding a wire ...

8-)
Garp

Post by Garp »

Searched a while through ELECTRICS as suggested and MilesnMiles has posted a "how-to" .... job for the coming week then.
All done, Thanks :read2:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Not that I want to complicate things but :D

You can buy an LED bulb known as a "switchback" bulb, this comes with both white and amber LED's, it means that you can have your reversing lights and a british indicator in the same lense. It would be a twin filament bulb though.
However, the wiring for the reverse lights could be left as is, you would just need to change the bulb socket for a twin filament one. Then follow the guide that you've been given for the indicator wire and attach it to the empty filament supply on the socket.
If you do decide to go this route, the bulbs with offset pins are known as 1157 bulbs.
For your indicators to flash as normal with an LED bulb, you might need a zero resistance LED flasher relay
As I said, not trying to complicate things but if you want the best of both worlds.......
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage
Garp

Post by Garp »

Rebel wrote:Not that I want to complicate things but :D

You can buy an LED bulb known as a "switchback" bulb, this comes with both white and amber LED's, it means that you can have your reversing lights and a british indicator in the same lense. It would be a twin filament bulb though.
However, the wiring for the reverse lights could be left as is, you would just need to change the bulb socket for a twin filament one. Then follow the guide that you've been given for the indicator wire and attach it to the empty filament supply on the socket.
If you do decide to go this route, the bulbs with offset pins are known as 1157 bulbs.
For your indicators to flash as normal with an LED bulb, you might need a zero resistance LED flasher relay
As I said, not trying to complicate things but if you want the best of both worlds.......
Thanks - will read it once again in the morning , slowly :thumbright:
Blue

Post by Blue »

I didn't mention the 2 colour LED bulbs on purpose. I tried to use them on the Valiant when I rewired it and they caused me problems. The 2 colours are supposed to be totally separate like a twin filament bulb is, they're not, you get a very small voltage across both sides which caused my side markers and sidelights to flash with the indicators...
“This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco, this ain’t no foolin’ around”
MattH

Post by MattH »

I did away with my reverse lights and fitted amber bulbs which are now the indicators. that is the beauty of the 72 on back end, you can get it properly legal without any issues, unlike a 70 which is more tricky.
Only thing I am not sure on is the wiring layout, mine was done 20 years ago and I can't remember how it was done, but the loom looks fairly unmolested in the boot area.
Matt Hollingsworth - Vehicle Registrar
Panther Pink 73 Aussie Charger 265 Hemi 4 spd
Challenger Sam Posey Tribute car
Pete

Post by Pete »

There is a company called "Brightlights" that does LED conversions, not cheap though.

I am sure Dave Robson did a good conversion on his '70 Challenger. A VERY long thread to look through though but full of great info.
Pete Wiseman; Cambridge.

Mopar by the grace of God
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Blue wrote:I didn't mention the 2 colour LED bulbs on purpose. I tried to use them on the Valiant when I rewired it and they caused me problems. The 2 colours are supposed to be totally separate like a twin filament bulb is, they're not, you get a very small voltage across both sides which caused my side markers and sidelights to flash with the indicators...
The ones I have seem to work ok, although I've only tested them and not actually fitted to the car yet. I know that they can cause any amount of problems, especially if you get caught up in the minefield of canbus, cree and error free. Don't understand any of it, lol. I do understand that an LED bulb used as an indicator will usually require a zero rated LED flasher unit to work properly due to the lower power consumption of the bulbs.
'68 Dodge Charger
‘75 Ford Ranchero
'93 Toyota Hilux Surf

YouTube - Double Zero Garage